Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
nKante

Ok! It would make sense to wear the cuirass over a padded under garment, and under a padded over garment. And after I looked again you are correct, they are Sudanese warriors. Know I have to reseach kutufi armor.

Thanks Ian

Last edited by nKante; 1st November 2013 at 12:08 AM.
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKante
Ok! It would make sense to wear the cuirass over a padded under garment, and under a padded over garment. And after I looked again you are correct, they are Sudanese warriors. Know I have to reseach kutufi armor.

Thanks Ian
No problem, just a note though on the terminology, what I listed above is Hausa, in a Sudanese context it will be something else.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Iain

Just to add a little more photographic material here, I'm not necessarily right about maille under the lifida. It's not always easy to determine if maille wearers are also wearing full lifida.

But here's at least one case of maille over what looks like quite a lot of bulky cloth. Still, I don't see the full quilted garment here.
Attached Images

Old 8th November 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Just to add a little more photographic material here, I'm not necessarily right about maille under the lifida. It's not always easy to determine if maille wearers are also wearing full lifida.

But here's at least one case of maille over what looks like quite a lot of bulky cloth. Still, I don't see the full quilted garment here.
Great image Iain. He won't run out of weapons in a hurry !
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Great image Iain. He won't run out of weapons in a hurry !
Thanks Colin, he's a chief from Foumban in Cameroon. With the number of knives he's packing, makes you wonder if these were thrown?
Old 11th November 2013, 08:57 PM   #6
nKante

Wow! That is an awesome pic. I would think that many daggers would be used as missiles. I wonder how his sleeves behave if they are for throwing!? By the way it gathers at his neck it looks like the chain shirt has a hood. Plus I think I see rings going up the side of his face. Thanx!
Old 11th November 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKante
Wow! That is an awesome pic. I would think that many daggers would be used as missiles. I wonder how his sleeves behave if they are for throwing!? By the way it gathers at his neck it looks like the chain shirt has a hood. Plus I think I see rings going up the side of his face. Thanx!
Yes I would agree, that's a hood. I've attached an image showing a similar maille set.
Attached Images

Old 11th June 2014, 08:20 PM   #8
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain

This is the image description. "Bamum chief, in Cameroon, Portrait of a Bamum chief of Foumban", Postcard of the Société des missions évangéliques de Paris (Paris evangelical missionary society). 1910/1920
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:52 PM   #9
nKante

I found what I believe to be an illustrated photo showing a warrior wearing an iron cuirass under his robes. The saddle horn, helmet and circle designs of the horses armor remind me of the set up in Colin's picture.

A Fulbe warrior wearing a much embellished iron helmet (the plates visible just above his right ear) and iron chest armor (plates visible just beneath his right forearm) beneath his robe; the horse wears quilted armor. The object topping his helmet might have been intended to hold feathers.
Attached Images