Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st February 2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Barrett Hiebert

Default Bronze Age Weapons from Romania???

Greetings,

I understand that I am not a very seldom visitor to Ethnographic Arms and Armour here, and that many if not all of the participants here are focused on very unique and most interesting weapons and armour (and rarely talked about)...but would I be able to get any clarification of any evidence, or books to read from Radu, or any fellow romanian on this board of any bronze age weapons that would of been found in Romania, or any specific cultures that arrived from whence? Thankyou very much, and I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Barrett Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Just wanted to bump, but also say, if you can find nothing or have nothing to add to help me in my search, than please say so, that would be better than leaving me in wonder, and waiting. Thankyou very much, and I look forward to seeing what you could come up with. Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 23rd February 2007, 02:12 AM   #3
Emanuel

Hello Barrett!
Have a look here: http://www.dacia.org/history/dacii_e.html there certainly were bronze-age civilizations on the territory of present-day Romania.
Here are some pictures from the National Military Museumm in Bucharest...poor quality and blurred, and I am missing most descriptions, but there are a few bronze swords I believe

All the best,
Emanuel
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 02:27 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

A simple internet search also yielded this.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 02:42 AM   #5
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Manolo:

Quote:
Hello Barrett!
Have a look here: http://www.dacia.org/history/dacii_e.html there certainly were bronze-age civilizations on the territory of present-day Romania.
Here are some pictures from the National Military Museumm in Bucharest...poor quality and blurred, and I am missing most descriptions, but there are a few bronze swords I believe

All the best,
Emanuel
Thankyou so much for the pictures and the link, and I have been to that website before. I wonder its historical factual basis, and its valadity. Can you offer any light to this situation? Is that a good website to rely on, and also what is it really talking about, since I have only just skimmed? Thankyou so much, and if you find any more, any books or anything, please tell me!

Also, from your knowledge and from anyone else who has knowledge of bronze, are the weapons displayed their authentic, because I have heard otherwise in other cases about the authenticity and fakes in the museums of Romania? Any clue? Thanks again, cheers! Look forward to hearing from you!

David:

Quote:
A simple internet search also yielded this.
Thanks, but I have already printed that off. I was one step ahead of you! Cheers!

So, if anyone else can offer me anything, anything at all, please do so! Thankyou very much. I'm going to e-mail my friend in Bucharest to try and take some pictures of all the bronze items in the museum their. Wish me luck! Cheers! Thanks again to all!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 25th February 2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Barrett,
Interesting query you have posted, though it would be more approachable if you could be a little more specific. It would also be helpful to know what your perspective is on your search for information on these Romanian weapons.
Also, it is very helpful to know what progress you might have made already so that those who do respond do not duplicate what you already have.
The emphasis here is on sharing information so that we can all learn together and as noted, your topic is very interesting.

It would seem that the weapons of Bronze Age Europe and Asia have actually become an important factor in the study of the development of many ethnographic weapons as they are often key in thier heritage. One can see many similarities imbued in not only design elements and blade shapes, but often in symbolism in motif and markings that have quite ancient ancestry.

If you are searching for excavated examples of the weapons found in Romania, you are most likely directed toward archaeological resources and possibly contacting publications such as "Archaeology" magazine might offer some material on the subject . Although general in scope, Ewart Oakeshott's venerable work "The Archaeology of Weapons" (N.Y.1960) provides some very intriguing overview on the history and development of the weapons developing from the bronze into the iron age in these regions. I believe that the already mentioned Dacians, who were actually a branch of the Thracian culture would be key in focus and other cultures which diffused into these regions were the Illyrians from the south, the Scythians from the east and the Celts from the west. Via the Celtic influx, we might presume that swords and weapons of the iron age Hallstadt culture (with origins in Bronze age forms) may have entered the material culture of the early Romanians.

Sir Richard Burton in "The Book of the Sword" (1884), discusses the Dacian sword of the much later period of Roman times, but also refers to a bronze sword (p.262) held in the Berlin museum said to have been found at Pella in Macedonia, and suggests it may be actually from the Rhine Valley, also of course, Danubian ("Die Bronze-schwerter des K.Mus. zu Berlin" Bastian & A.Voss, 1878, p.56).He also notes the Hallstadt cemetarial excavations which provided key examples of bronze age and early iron age weapons attributed to Danubian-Keltic Alanni or Norician Taurisci.

I think that the more information and support that is presented and analyzed to corroborate material, the more likely is its validity. We always presume that any establishment such as a museum would responsibly display artifacts and note whether items are authentic or representative reproductions.

I hope this will be of some help, and might provide some ideas for you to further your research.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 03:21 AM   #7
Barrett Hiebert

Default Adress, e-mail of people of "Archaeology" magazine that I would direct my questions?

Greetings,

Would someone be able to help me and give me the adress, link to the people of the "Archaeology Magazine" that I would be able to ask my question about the Bronze Age of Romania/Eastern Europe? Thankyou very much, and I look forward to hearing from you! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 7th March 2007, 03:34 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow Google .....

http://www.archaeology.org/

Contacts:
http://www.archaeology.org/masthead/index.html
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Rick:

Thanks for the link, and I went to their site, but on the page of contacts, I didn't know if I should contact the senior editor, or the editor-in-chief, any hints, ideads?! Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 7th March 2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Hiebert
Greetings,

Rick:

Thanks for the link, and I went to their site, but on the page of contacts, I didn't know if I should contact the senior editor, or the editor-in-chief, any hints, ideads?! Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Hi Barrett,
Possibly the contributing editor ??
Or try them one after the other starting from the top of the list; hopefully one of them will respond and point you in the right direction.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 02:37 AM   #11
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Rick:

Quote:
Possibly the contributing editor ??
Yep, I shall do my best to go down the entire list, thanks for the information! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert