Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th February 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Just Acquired 2 Kris' & 2 Kalinga axes - Seeking help...

Good morning, afternoon, and/or evening to all:

Yesterday I had the good fortune of acquiring the collection of a late retired full bird Col. who had served as the defense attache to the US Embassy in Manila during the 1950s and 1960s. He was one of the POWs who had survived the Bataan Death March in '42. In fact, he was the Capt. (at the time) who, along with a chaplain held there, helped document and hide photographs and illustrations of the atrocities at Camp O'Donnell. He was a war hero, and revered by the body politic in Manila. When he returned as the defense attache to the embassy, he was greeted as such. Many the Filipino scouts with whom he had served in WWII had reached command positions, including several who had reached the rank of General. I enjoyed spending several hours with his daughter, looking through photo albums and hearing the stories of how she and her siblings, as young teenagers, along with her father and VIPs out of Manila visited various insular tribal societies, where her father was again greeted and treated as an honored guest. She told of how upon meeting a headhunter tribe in Luzon, her father told her, "whatever it is they offer you to eat, eat it."

Long of the short - these few items have a wonderful provenance. His daughter, now in her 60s, fondly recalls how tribal leaders would bestow gifts upon her father. This small assortment I acquired includes several pieces I believe to have been such gifts. I have attached photos of five of the pieces: two kris', two Kalinga axes, and one knife that does not match any online published references I have found. According to his daughter, he maintained and cared for these until a couple years before his passing.

Thank you to the forum and it's guide in distinguishing between authentic and "tourist trade" Kalinga axes, which I studied before going to view the pieces. They are indeed hand-forged, and vary in thickness from 5+ mm to +/- 3mm. When you run your hand across their surface(s) or view them at obtuse angles in the light, the rippling along the surface is obvious and apparent. They are in fact a near-identical match to the 19th-century example featured in the Macao Museum of Art exhibit ("History of Steel in Eastern Asia".

But what I am writing to ask regards the tribal and (specific) geographical affiliation of the two kris'. One of these will be added to my collection. I would like to be able to make the best informed decision possible - that is where my respect for the body of knowledge inherent to the member base of this forum comes into play.

The first of the two, and the one I am intuitively inclined to keep, is in the better condition of the two. Its blade measured approximately 19 15/16 inches in length; the hilt measures an additional 4 3/8 inches (OAL slightly over 24 inches). The blade tapers evenly from approx. 1 13/16 inches at the first luk to 1 1/4 inches at the last. Similarly, the blade has a(n umeasured) distal taper from the gangya (which measures approx. 5 inches in width and is a separate and distinct piece from the blade) to the tip. The hilt is mounted in ivory with chased cylindrical brass ferules both top and bottom. There is another chased (copper?) ring that matches the stirrup above the brass ferule.

I will include photos of the other two items in question in successive posts once I return in a couple hours. Photos of the first kris to immediately follow:

As always, I greatly and humbly appreciate any and all knowledge the members here may have to share with me, and thank you in advance for the same. I have to run, but will be eagerly revisiting this thread this afternoon in anticipation of your feedback.

Best Regards,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote