Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th August 2007, 02:10 AM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Kampillan...But Moro???

I have just received this kampillan and once in hand it really got my curiosity up, because it has a lot of somewhat unique features. I am wondering if it is Moro at all, but I think if it is Moro it is not from the Philippines.

VVV and I had a nice discussion this summer regarding the widespread use of the kampillan, and I am wondering if this piece may be from Borneo or even Sulawesi.

The blade is nice, yet not unique...it is a standard nicely laminated blade, but what is unique:

*short "crocodile jaws"....very little "open mouth"

*smaller hilt overall, with shorter, thinner crossguard

*hair is not attached in plugs glued into holes, but is attached in a long thin groove-like
opening rather than holes

*unique talismans; other than the tiger bells, these do not appear to be typical to
Moro kampillans

I'd like some feedback from others on the possible origins of this sword. I am wondering if anyone is thinking like I am??
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 7th August 2007 at 03:38 AM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 02:13 AM   #2
RhysMichael

You get the most interesting pieces. I do not know enough about Kampilan to comment but an interesting example and those look like tiger bells but I could be wrong. There are references for tiger bells on Kampilan nad tiger bells can be found in Sulawesi

http://park.org/Guests/Tiger/indonesi.htm

And tiger bells are seen in the Philippines

http://park.org/Guests/Tiger/details.htm
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 02:33 AM   #3
Bill

Tiger bells look a bit like the ones of the Iban. http://park.org/Guests/Tiger/details.htm#start but far from definitive.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 04:11 AM   #4
Dajak

I will picture next week the borneo collection from the Nijmweegse Museum so will sure look at these Bells

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 04:27 AM   #5
Bill

can you id the hair at all? orangutan?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 05:55 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ARTZI POSTED A SIMULAR KAMPILIAN A WHILE BACK SO YOU MIGHT LOOK FOR HIS POST OR CONTACT HIM. THE HAIR IS MOST LIKELY GOAT ,ORANGATAN IS NOT AS COURSE AS THAT APPEARS TO BE. I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY GOOD REFRENCES ON KAMPILIANS GIVING THEIR RANGE OR THE NUMBER OF TRIBES USING THEM BUT ALSO SUSPECT THIS IS NOT A PURE PHILIPPINE MORO KAMPILIAN. NICE KAMPILIAN AND A NICE HEAVY WATERED STEEL BLADE WHEREVER ITS FROM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 02:23 PM   #7
kai

Hello Charles,

Thanks for posting these pics! You really get the nicest toys! <drooling>

I wonder why nobody mentioned it yet: If you ever want to let this piece go, please drop me a line, pretty please...

Quote:
*short "crocodile jaws"....very little "open mouth"
I don't think this was ever intended to represent an animal.

Quote:
*hair is not attached in plugs glued into holes, but is attached in a long thin groove-like opening rather than holes
Could you please show a close-up? The decoration at the bottom side of the hilt still seems to be applied in tufts.

Quote:
*unique talismans; other than the tiger bells, these do not appear to be typical to Moro kampillans
The attached tassle seems to be close but slightly different from Michael's.

BTW, attached bundles of hair like in your example seem to be more widespread in the area. Are these documented from any non-headhunting culture?

Quote:
I'd like some feedback from others on the possible origins of this sword. I am wondering if anyone is thinking like I am??
Illanum seems to be a good guess - possibly more East than Borneo...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote