Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2013, 02:58 AM   #1
archer

Default Arabian Tulwars

Recently purchased two sleeper tulwar's listed as Arabian Swords. After seeing a recent post by Lotfy and another by Jim that the claim of having been acquired in Arabia by a relative in the 60s made sense.
Both Arabian Tulwar's weigh in a 2 lbs 2 ounces, The silver hilt one has a 30.5 in blade and balances on the flat 7 inches out from the begining of the ricasso. The second deeper bellied blade is 28.25 in. and balances only on it's spline, (back of blade). These are all new to me. The longer blade one feels more functional. the curved blade encourages a forward chopping motion.
The silver hilted Tulwar has an 8.5in. back edge all edges remain sharp and show no recent sharpening The blade has two three dot triangles. The second blade has an N like stamped on the smoothly ground side and a roughly shaped finish on the other side with remenents of writing? and stamps, 9.5 back edge.
Since these tulwars feel so different would they have different styles in use? Any thing you can teach me about them will be helpful. Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Recently purchased two sleeper tulwar's listed as Arabian Swords. After seeing a recent post by Lotfy and another by Jim that the claim of having been acquired in Arabia by a relative in the 60s made sense.
Both Arabian Tulwar's weigh in a 2 lbs 2 ounces, The silver hilt one has a 30.5 in blade and balances on the flat 7 inches out from the begining of the ricasso. The second deeper bellied blade is 28.25 in. and balances only on it's spline, (back of blade). These are all new to me. The longer blade one feels more functional. the curved blade encourages a forward chopping motion.
The silver hilted Tulwar has an 8.5in. back edge all edges remain sharp and show no recent sharpening The blade has two three dot triangles. The second blade has an N like stamped on the smoothly ground side and a roughly shaped finish on the other side with remenents of writing? and stamps, 9.5 back edge.
Since these tulwars feel so different would they have different styles in use? Any thing you can teach me about them will be helpful. Steve
Salaams Archer ~ Very interesting.. I wondered why you use the term Arabian ?... since these weapons are Indo Persian with an equivalent in the Afghan armoury... Oddly enough I have a picture somewhere with a Red Sea blade (European for the Ethiopian market) reset on a Tulvar hilt...but I have never heard them referred to as Arabian.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 02:52 AM   #3
ariel

I agree. Cannot find anything Arabian here: pure Indo-Persian tulwars.
The seller must have not been very educated: anything curved would be "arabian" for him, as per Hollywood drivel.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I agree. Cannot find anything Arabian here: pure Indo-Persian tulwars.
The seller must have not been very educated: anything curved would be "arabian" for him, as per Hollywood drivel.
Agree. What the seller says doesnt matter. Although I think Steve confused it with me referencing to some people using Indian swords in the gulf..
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
archer

Default Appologies for mislabeling

Salaams Ibrahiim, More of a play on the way these Indian Swords were listed and this photo posted here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...5&page=5&pp=30

Lotfy is correct I did missinterpret the swords in the photo. Hoping to bring out a discussion on the function of these different styles of blades from three rather run of the mill swords I chose to use the sellers term "Arabian Tulwars", not a great way to start a conversation, I guess. Steve
Old 26th May 2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Salaams Ibrahiim, More of a play on the way these Indian Swords were listed and this photo posted here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...5&page=5&pp=30

Lotfy is correct I did missinterpret the swords in the photo. Hoping to bring out a discussion on the function of these different styles of blades from three rather run of the mill swords I chose to use the sellers term "Arabian Tulwars", not a great way to start a conversation, I guess. Steve

Salaams Archer... Oh no not at all... I didn't mean to pick holes in your choice of words... in fact it is easy for people to occasionally mis name a sword ... Ethnographic arms is littered with such things... I mean Tulvar Pulwar ... Sayf, Kattara, Quddera, Katar...to name but a few...I mean its misnomer ally !!!
It is indeed a very interesting subject. Bravo !!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 27th May 2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams All~ A couple of Ethiopian blades mounted on Tulvar Hilts and rigged with Omani Scabbards.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
archer

Default Nice Examples

Interesting examples Ibrahiim. Edge weapons and their variations never seem to end. Man will continue to make alterations to suit his needs and fancies. Conquests and travel only added to the examples to be found.