Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th July 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
clockwork

Default Little help

Hi there, I was wondering if there are any past post here or if any one has information on weapons from eastern Europe. I will be going next month and would like to now what to look for while I am there. Will be in Albania to Bulgaria and every were in between. I will also be in Morroco in Dec so any info on that country's weapons would also be welcomed.
clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:02 PM   #2
ward

I can help with North Africa. P.M. me with what cities you will be in
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
clockwork

I can not send private msgs here for some reason. I am looking to go to Casablanca and Marrakesh and will have time to go some were else for a cpl days yet to be determined.
Old 21st July 2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork
I can not send private msgs here for some reason. I am looking to go to Casablanca and Marrakesh and will have time to go some were else for a cpl days yet to be determined.
No you may not use the PM function until you have had a number of 'on topic' posts passed by the Moderators .
You may always use email for communication .

Hope this helps .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 01:58 PM   #5
ward

well clockwork is set up not to receive emails. Casablanca has a beautiful modern mosque and besides the airport that is all I can recommend it for. I get out of Casa as quick as possible. Museum wise with arms there is a large one in Fez (closed last 3 years, maybe open later this year) Rabat has their version of a national museum. Meknas has a nice museum in the medina with a few weapons. There are some dealers in Marakesh a lot it way overpriced and a lot of it modern work from syria and india and local reproductions.
Old 21st July 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
clockwork

Do you have any suggestions on were to go like Safi? Plus is there any links here on morocco weapons? I have only seen one link so far with very little information. Would like to now what I am looking at when I go there, so I dont get ripped off to much.
Old 21st July 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
TVV

I can help with Bulgaria. Assuming your trip goes through Sofia, the National Military Museum has a decent weapons colelction - just go straight to the top floor. As for buying, unless you really know what you are looking for, my advice is to be cautious. Antique stores are overpriced and flea markets are full of repros, compilations and items in altered condition. Also, generally speaking, there has been a recent surge in interest in arms and armour in Bulgaria and most things are actually cheaper in the States and Western Europe than in Bulgaria.
For more specific advice, let me know what cities you will be in and I will see if there are any places of interest.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 06:11 PM   #8
ward

Safi is a great town. Neat portugese fort with cannons there. That is not a tourist town no weapons there. Safi is a 8-9 train ride from Casa. Unless you want modern pieces you are not going to be buying over there. If you can find something it takes hours to days to negotiate a price. Do you speak french or arabic? Then you still have to get it out of the country.
Old 21st July 2008, 06:35 PM   #9
clockwork

I will be in Sofia for a short time then I think that I'm heading to ether Varna area or burgas area whith a stop in between or two
Old 21st July 2008, 06:44 PM   #10
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork
I will be in Sofia for a short time then I think that I'm heading to ether Varna area or burgas area whith a stop in between or two
Well, in Varna and Burgas at the height of the tourist season you will not find anything that is even remotely reasonably priced. Varna's Archaeological Museum is a great place to visit, even if not necessarily weapons related, and so is the National History Museum in Sofia. For weapons, of course, I already recommended you the National Military History Museum. If you can stop in Veliko Turnovo, which is halfway between Varna and Sofia, it is well worth it. The best place to shop in Bulgaria is at militaria and antiques shows, and the best used to be in Veliko Turnovo, but it is only once a month and I am not sure if it is held any longer at all. The town itself however is a nice place with lots of history.
Good luck!
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 06:48 PM   #11
clockwork

thank you for the info. I will look into stopping there