Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Silver Shield

Default Beautiful French Sergeants Halberd Louis XIV

Beautiful Louis XIV, French and Indian War period Sergeants Halberd . Its not as well made as the only references I could find , nor as symmetrical , and has some obvious forging flaws leading me to believe maybe Provincially made ? I bought a lot of 4 halberds 2 with fully intact old hafts supposedly sold off from the Cincinnati Art Museum in the 50s. Don't know for sure . But got 2 nice halberds with intact langets and old certainly not original hafts to add to my collection out of the 4 !! What do the Experts here think ?
Attached Images

Silver Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 10:00 AM   #2
corrado26

C'est tout que le grandmaître des armes blanches francaises, Christian Aries, a écrit dans son oevre sur les habardes des Sergeants en temps de Louis XIV.
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Silver Shield

Unhappy I know 5 languages but .....

Thank You so much Carrado26, That plate is how I Identified the Halberd head , as I could only find it in Art not in actual Photos . I'm I correct in ID ? I speak 5 languages, American, New Zealand, Australian , Canadian and English but not French so cannot understand full the post
Is it a uncommon piece? And could my idea of "provincial smithing" be correct?
Old 27th August 2016, 04:39 PM   #4
corrado26

Thumbs up

For me these 5 languages you speak are all the same: English. French is a totally other thing. I hope that you understand that I cannot and will not translate the whole text but some words to what the French text is saying and what might be important to know:

The first drawings of this halberd - unfortunately not dated - appeared between 1675 and 1680 during the reign of king Louis XIV. . It is known that the total length of this piece with the blade has been fixed by the ordnance of decembre 1st 1692 and was 211cm. Only two examples are known in France and mentioned by Christian Aries. One in the Musée de l'Armée in Paris and an other one in the Musée de l'Empéri at Salon de Provence near Marseille. N°1 is the drawing of 1675/80, N°2 is the halberd in the Army Museum of Paris and N°3 is the piece in Salon de Provence. Both arms are signed with "C. GOUNOD". Congratulation to this really rare halberd!!
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Silver Shield

Talking Thank You

Carrado26 , Thank you so much for your information . I never would expect you to fully translate such a thing . And I was only laughing at myself with some sadness about languages , for I do only know English ! Thank you again for your expertise Sir .
Old 28th August 2016, 12:37 AM   #6
M ELEY

5 languages from America, UK, etc...I get it now! Brilliant!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote