Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
mross

Default African Arms

Those of you who like African arms may find this site intresting;

Last edited by David; 26th March 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: This is a commercial site!
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

This is a custom maker I saw one of his swords on ebay last year priced at ten times what a good quality original would cost
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:35 PM   #3
KuKulzA28

That's pretty cool! I think this is a rare step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
This is a custom maker I saw one of his swords on ebay last year priced at ten times what a good quality original would cost
Question is, would you actively use a "good quality original" (antique?).. ?
I think his efforts are commendable... and I also think that the world of ethnographic weaponry/tools needs passioned makers like him (along with everyday users, martial artists, and today's descendants of these traditions) as much as it needs scholars, collectors, and historians.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
That's pretty cool! I think this is a rare step in the right direction.

Question is, would you actively use a "good quality original" (antique?).. ?
I think his efforts are commendable... and I also think that the world of ethnographic weaponry/tools needs passioned makers like him (along with everyday users, martial artists, and today's descendants of these traditions) as much as it needs scholars, collectors, and historians.
The answer
I would more likely use a older piece that I paid a couple of hundred for than one of his for $2000. Most of the weapons he is showing seem more status pieces than weapons. Although daggers and some forms of swords were used in battle the real fighting weapons were spear axe and club along with the bow.
Old 26th March 2010, 03:30 AM   #5
nKante

I found this site last year. I am very impressed with his work. As someone who broke his first 'authentic' Congo spear, I would rather use a well crafted reproduction. I think he is filling a nice niche, trying to link the past with the present. There is not alot of mainstream info out there, and I think his work would shed some light on how things were done.
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 03:40 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Exclamation

Sorry guys, but this is a commercial site. Post it in swap if you want, but not here.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKante
I found this site last year. I am very impressed with his work. As someone who broke his first 'authentic' Congo spear, I would rather use a well crafted reproduction. I think he is filling a nice niche, trying to link the past with the present. There is not alot of mainstream info out there, and I think his work would shed some light on how things were done.
Nkante

First thing what were you doing with the spear that made it break?You said his work would shed light on how things were done? As far as forging the blade ? I am sure he uses heavier stock high carbon tool steel and if he uses a gas forge than it wouldn't be the way things were done. He does nice work but to me these are African weapons on steroids using .250 thick stock. There are so older African weapons on the market today that I can pick up an old spear and use it against soft home made targets. Throwing these types of old spears into wooden targets are not what they were designed for. Remember people who lived in the Congo basically ran around in a loin cloth so any type of metalic weapon whether steel or even copper could be very deadly. As far as I know there is no established form of an African martial arts weapons system other than some stick fighting forms?

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 26th March 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28th March 2010, 11:26 PM   #8
tom hyle

Default spear control

A big round bale of hay is a nice target that doesn't hurt your spear
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote