Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th January 2008, 12:35 AM   #1
CharlesS

Default Interesting, Likely Chinese Inspired, Dha Double Knife

As a real lover of cross cultural pieces I could not pass up this double dha knife that I believe is heavily Chinese influenced. The set is 10 inches overall with the knives having 6 inch blades. The hilts are ivory, carved in fish motifs, and all the fittings are silver. Based on the size I assume this is a utility set, or perhaps a set of knives for a woman. The scabbard is three pieces, with a central panel running through the center as a divider for the knives similar to what is found in scabbards for Chinese double knives and swords.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 01:40 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
As a real lover of cross cultural pieces I could not pass up this double dha knife that I believe is heavily Chinese influenced. The set is 10 inches overall with the knives having 6 inch blades. The hilts are ivory, carved in fish motifs, and all the fittings are silver. Based on the size I assume this is a utility set, or perhaps a set of knives for a woman. The scabbard is three pieces, with a central panel running through the center as a divider for the knives similar to what is found in scabbards for Chinese double knives and swords.
Very interesting piece. If it ever feels lonely for the company of other Dha knives, please PM me.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Andrew

Very interesting, Charles.

Of course, whenever we come across dha with obvious Chinese influence, it has become a knee-jerk reaction (of mine, anyway) to say "Yunan". In this case, I speculate this is a Burmese set, perhaps created for (or by) an ethnic Chinese.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Nick Wardigo

Beautiful set of knives, Chahles. You know how I love intricately-carved ivory handles, and these look like they're top notch.

I like the notion that these are Chinese-influenced. They remind me of Vietnamese double-kiem, but with the notable difference of that piece of wood in the scabbard that separates the blades. For some reason, every set of Vietnamese double-kiem (and, for that matter, double-knives) that I've seen lacks that separater, whereas Chinese double-swords and double-knives typically have it (although not always). I might also draw attention to the lack of pommels, which is something that distinguishes this set from Chinese AND Vietnamese knives, but clearly ties into its Burmese pettigree. A true hybrid. I don't think I've seen anything quite like them. Congratulations!
Nick Wardigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 03:32 PM   #5
CharlesS

Thanks for the input Nick.

You bring up some interesting points.

Look forward to seein' y'all in Baltimore.....bless ya heart!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Mark

Very cool. I agree that these are truly Chinese-inspired Burmese and not on on fusion from Som China. Aside from their being double, the fittings are classic Burmese in form and decoration. What I have seen from Yunnan has recognizable Chinese motifs. Of course it could be that I only attribute to Yunnan pieces with Chinese motifs. (Just kidding, I have seen pieces known to come from Yunnan).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote