Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th February 2024, 08:50 AM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Another amalgamation sword your taughts

Hi
Some of you may recall the shamshir with briquet handle I acquired around a month ago.
This item is coming from the breaking up of a very old collection (I got a 1880's red coat in v v good condition last week from the same collection but off topic for this forum)

Well the seller has come across some more items

So this looks like a British 1796 Pattern Infantry Officer's Spadroon handle on a Tulwar, blade?

Pictures are terrible but I actually like it.

How this would handle I don't know but I should see over the weekend and make a call then. Probably wont be expensive either way.

Maybe these are fantasy items made up of original items or a true meeting of east and west a hundred years ago.

Taughts welcome

Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2024, 05:19 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I really like stuff like this Ken.
On the left is a M1899 British cavalry sword, never see many of these around.
I think you're right, a M1796 heavy cavalry spadroon with the guard cut down. the blade is a trade saber, probably Solingen as near as I can tell. Could be tulwar or any number of contexts.
It seems to me that in colonial native contexts these kinds of 'creations' abound, so as they are typically 'one off' who knows?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2024, 07:09 PM   #3
Changdao

Yes, the blade looks from Solingen by the eyelash markings and the fullers. It's hard to tell from where it is from. It might even be African, as I've seen old photographies of Hausa riders with similar swords (that is, Western trade blades and guards that look like canibalised European ones instead of local styles, with stirrup hilts for example)
Changdao is offline   Reply With Quote