Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2015, 01:21 AM   #1
estcrh

Default Reproduction hooded katars?

This group of hooded katars were sold recently, they look fake to me, any other opinions would be appreciated.

Quote:
AMAZING AUCTION for 4 antique and attractive 19th century Indian Hooded Katar daggers. It is very rare to come by these pieces in a lot like this. The katars are of all steel construction and have worked in floral motifs on the hoods. The Katars have wear and are being sold as is. Lots of photos attached.
Winning bid:US $1,300.00
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 01:39 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy Oh dear

These look purely decorative to me and seem to have been made out of sheet metal. There appears to be some stable corrosion remaining in some places, while other places look as though they have been heavily abraded and perhaps polished. Given the thinness of the metal guards, I'm surprised that none of them show any dings from use or bumping about if they are indeed old. Not weapons I would stake my life on.

These have enough negative features that would certainly dissuade me from bidding on them. I hope none of our fellow forumites bought them at that price.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 02:03 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs down

I wouldn't even pick up the ten foot pole .

Workmanship is atrocious, IMO .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:26 AM   #4
BANDOOK

HI THESE ARE 100% FAKE AND ARE CALLED AS HOODED KATARS FROM TANJORE,SOUTH INDIA,LOT OF THESE ARE MADE IN UDAIPUR ,RAJASTHAN AND ONE CAN BUY THEM FOR 80 -100 $,BUYERS BEWARE
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 12:38 PM   #5
ariel

What kind of technique was used to imitate their heavy patination/thick black rust?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 12:59 PM   #6
estcrh

Thanks for your opinions, I agree completely, the same seller also sold 2 pata swords that are "reproductions" as well.

Quote:
The robust bronze gauntlets with beaded borders, the long, straight, double-edged and flexible blades retained to each hilt with exceptional bronze mounts in the form of fully-modeled monster heads with floriated tongues. With wooden grips intact. Early 19th century. Period repair to one gauntlet, blades brown. Overall length 121.4 cm. Winning bid:US $826.00
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Kubur

"What kind of technique was used to imitate their heavy patination/thick black rust?"

You put the objects in the ground with water for few weeks then you will have some rust, clean the objects with an oily product and you will get the same patina. If you are in India or Tropical Africa, the rust will come very rapidly.
You can also use salt or rotten eggs...

Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote