Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 30th January 2018, 11:06 AM   #1
stuckinthemud

Default late Gothic crossbow construction

Hi Guys,
I am in the middle of a (very) long-term project to reconstruct a mid/late Gothic composite crossbow. I am a reasonably skilled carver, can build long-bows, can work deer-antler and am learning to work with horn, sinew and traditional glues. I have read everything I can find, and have looked at relevant chapters from Die Armbrust. What I need is a decent set of measurements for a 'typical' composite prod of the type used for hunting, not warfare, from the mid to late 15th century from the Saxony region. Can anyone help? My ultimate goal is to construct a reasonably faithful replica of the Ulrich bow, but I do not anticipate undertaking that project for a few years, a generic mid-15th century Gothic bow is the next step for me.

Thanks in advance
Andrew
stuckinthemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 11:57 AM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum Andrew,
You will notice that the scope of this forum is to discuss original examples, so that you will find several posts with pictures and research, but not properly the way to make replicas. You may use the 'Search' button above to follow such discussions.
However concerning technical data, measurements and the like, i would ask you if you are familiar with the book here attached, a bilingual work with a comprehensive study on crossbows, where measurements are mentioned to the last detail namely, i realize, for the styles you are after.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Marcus den toom

Not really helpfull for measurments but there are alot of quality pictures of medieval crossbows

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...bow+collection
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 01:52 PM   #4
corrado26

Maybe this book helpls in your research with lots of drawings and pictures on more than 500 pages
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 10:34 PM   #5
stuckinthemud

Hi Guys.
Fernando thank you for the welcome, I will try to obtain a copy of the book you describe. I confess that I am aware of the scope of the forum but as it is the dimensions of original weapons I need, I thought this the best place to come to, having lurked here on and off for a long time. To Marcus ten boom and Corrado26 also my thanks and although I am familiar with the documents you suggest, they are indeed excellent. The best paper I have found is the one by Barron de Casson on the Ulrich bow. What I particularly need is length of bow, thickness and width of bow at centre, the rest I am fairly well informed on though all advice is always welcome.
Old 1st February 2018, 11:25 AM   #6
fernando

Here you have some specs, Andrew. I am not certain if this is what you are looking for. If so, you will find in this book excelent close up pictures of each detail, measuring systems, and a thechnical overview on the European crossbow.
Indeed an exelent book you should acquire, once interested in the subject.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 1st February 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 4th February 2018, 10:15 PM   #7
stuckinthemud

Thankyou Fernando, yes, that is exactly what I need; I also noted a measurement for a long-tiller composite bow in Matchlock's translation of an essay by Bielz on page 10 of the 'Classic thread', where the prod is described as 80cm long and 6cm thick at the centre: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...&page=10&pp=30
Old 5th February 2018, 11:58 AM   #8
fernando

Good; so you are not stuck in the mud any longer .
Don't forget to buy the book; it is a precious one for your hobby.