Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2016, 05:02 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default I'd Like to Learn More About These Interesting Mandau

I have just recently acquired these two interesting mandau and would like to learn more about them, most especially their probable location origins on Borneo.

The silver mounted one seems to have a blade profile that most closely fits the malat uma bawang in Bank's Hoplology in Sarawak, but I would like to see if others agree.

I cannot identify the blade profile of the second one and am especially interested in its unusual wide fullering to both sides of the blade.

They both seem to have some legitimate age.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 06:46 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

TWO BEAUTIES THE PRESENCE OF HIGH QUALITY SILVER FITTINGS ON THE FIRST ONE SHOWS THE OWNER HAD SOME STANDING AND WEALTH. ITS OLDER THAN THE SECOND ONE BECAUSE IT HAS LESS HAIR
I SAY THAT,S A JOKE SON
THE SECOND ONE HAS A BLADE STYLE I HAVE NOT SEEN PERHAPS A CLOSEUP OF THE HANDLE AND ANY DESIGNS WILL HELP THE MEMBERS WITH LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE I.D. IT FOR YOU.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 02:01 AM   #3
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
TWO BEAUTIES THE PRESENCE OF HIGH QUALITY SILVER FITTINGS ON THE FIRST ONE SHOWS THE OWNER HAD SOME STANDING AND WEALTH. ITS OLDER THAN THE SECOND ONE BECAUSE IT HAS LESS HAIR
I SAY THAT,S A JOKE SON
THE SECOND ONE HAS A BLADE STYLE I HAVE NOT SEEN PERHAPS A CLOSEUP OF THE HANDLE AND ANY DESIGNS WILL HELP THE MEMBERS WITH LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE I.D. IT FOR YOU.
While it was meant as a joke (and props for the foghorn leghorn reference). It is not necessarily an invalid observation. Look at the condition between the two. The first one is in far better condition, bright polished fittings, clean handle, hardly any mottling on the blade. It looks like it was well cared for...But it's plume is deteriorated.

Whereas the second one looks to have been given less then the best care. But it's plume is in great condition. If they were close to the same age this wouldn't make much sense. If the first one was significantly older then the second, then it makes a lot more sense, as hair would be the most delicate material in it's construction. And therefore the plume would be likely to be the first thing to start going with age (regardless of how well cared for it was).

However all of that is merely deductive. We will have to see what the better informed have to say on the matter.

Last edited by Helleri; 22nd January 2016 at 02:12 AM.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote