Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th June 2020, 12:27 PM   #1
midelburgo

Default Cavalry cup hilt

I just got a nice cup hilt with a military blade. Similar blades with the inscriptions "xESPADEROxxENxxALMANIA" and "xMISINALxxESELxxNOMBRExDxIESU", can be found with cavalry officer swords of the 1728 model, although I suspect they could be mountings with older blades. I will put tentatively this one in the period 1670-1690. Grip is metallic and it has a nice point breaker and a simple "guardapolvo".

There was something strange with the upper part of the cup, the border is too irregular and the gap with the quillions too large.

I suspected it could be due to a missing decorative silver or brass band at the rim, and having the sword in the hand, now I think this is the case. Also something could be also missing at the root of one of the quillions.

However, I cannot find any similar examples. Maybe you know of some. Silver/brass decorations are not unusual in newer examples, especially with a colonial background.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 8th June 2020 at 12:42 PM.
midelburgo is online now   Reply With Quote