Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th December 2011, 06:51 PM   #1
pebuxy

Smile Would appreciate your opinion

Evening all ! I m a new member, and started collecting ethnographic weapons recently. I ve include a few pics a was wondering about your opinion about these. Thanks in advance !!!

Pics include:

3 cassowary bone daggers New-Guinea
1 cassowary bone dagger New-Guinea
1 small bone dagger (pig - cassowary?) New-Guinea (23 cm)
Tribal club origin unknown - flat head- 37 cm
Tribal club origin unknown - with a ridge on top - 34 cm
ould love to know the origin of the 2 above....
Knoberrie style club 50 cm
Masai club 64 cm This one is certainly not old, as I brought it back from Kenya 16 years ago; It is however an genuinely tribally used piece.
Bontoc Igorot headhunters axe. Weight 550 grams, with an irregular blade thickness, obviously not made out of sjeet metal, but forged metal.
Attached Images

pebuxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Dom

Hi "pebuxy"
no more than, to tell you; "WELCOME"
your field of interest, it's very far from mine,
here, you will found many "experts" who will be pleased to comment your artifacts ...
welcome with us

all the best

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 01:34 AM   #3
laEspadaAncha

Hi Pebuxy,

Welcome to the asylum. Someday, you will be muttering to no one in particular, "it all started with that damn cassowary dagger..."

It would seem you have an affinity toward tribal arms and armor - while I may not be able to shed any new light on your nice collection, I can tell you are in good company here.

Cheers,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 02:20 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME TO THE FORUM YOU HAVE A NICE SELECTION OF NEW GUINEA BONE DAGGERS THEY ARE LIKELY FROM THE CASSOWARY BUT SOMETIMES OTHER BONES ARE USED. CASSOWARY AND HUMAN BONES BEING THE MOST COMMON LONG BONES OF THE RIGHT SIZE IN THE AREA.
THE STRANGE CLUB LIKE OBJECT WITH WHAT RESEMBLES A SOCK FOR THE STRIKING END IS I BELIEVE A DRUM STICK. I HAVE SEEN SIMULAR FORMS IN OTHER AREAS BUT AM NOT SURE IF THEY ARE USED IN NEW GUINEA. THE OTHERS ARE DEFINITELY CLUBS LIKELY FOR THROWING AT GAME MOSTLY.
BUT WOULD NO DOUBT COME IN HANDY IN A FIGHT.
THE AX IS LIKELY FROM THE BONTOK TRIBE AS THAT BLADE CONFIGURATION AND HANDLE IS THE NORM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 10:35 AM   #5
pebuxy

Default Thx

Thank you all for the warm welcome ! Tell me Vandoo, drumstick, you might well be right....the ones you came across, any idea of their origin?
Old 28th December 2011, 10:28 AM   #6
pebuxy

Default Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi "pebuxy"
no more than, to tell you; "WELCOME"
your field of interest, it's very far from mine,
here, you will found many "experts" who will be pleased to comment your artifacts ...
welcome with us

all the best

à +

Dom
Many thx for the warm welcome Dom !
Old 28th December 2011, 03:59 PM   #7
pebuxy

Default Thx

Thx for the warm welcome gents ! True Chris, I m hooked.... Tell me Vandoo, that idea of yours it being a drum stick seems quite plausible.... Any idea where the similar ones you saw came from? And they are as you say not new guinea, but very probably african. I d luv to find out more about their origin. The knoberrie next to the Masai club is I beleive Nguni, but would be very happy to get an "expert" opinion on that as to the headhunters axe, it has all the features of an old piece, forged steel blade, with a variable thickness - the tourist ones all seem to be made out of steel sheet, being of a uniform thickness- and it has a good weight, 550 grams, tourist ones tend to be lighter, generaly around 300-350 grams. Again, would very much appreciate someone with knowledge giving his or her opinion. Thx in advance !
Old 29th December 2011, 04:29 AM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING TO SEE WHERE I SAW A DRUMSTICK SIMULAR IN FORM AND FUNCTION. SO FAR NO LUCK AND I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF IN MY OLD BRAIN SORTING THRU IT AND THE PICTURE INDEX IS A CHORE AND SO FAR HAS NOT PRODUCED THE INFO. IT SEEMS IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN A ETHINOGRAPHIC TYPE FILM IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANYWHERE FROM AFRICA TO TIBET I SEEM TO REMBER IT BEING A HAND HELD DRUM.
ALL THE PICTURES OF TRIBES IN NEW GUINEA SHOWED THEM USING THEIR HANDS ON THE DRUMS CARRIED IN CELEBRATIONS AND CEREMONYS.
WITH YOUR SORT OF STICK THE DRUM IS STRUCK WITH THE END OF THE STICK OR IN YOURS THE TOE OF THE SOCK. THE 90 DEGREE BEND ALLOWS THIS, ITS KIND OF LIKE USING A PICK OR ADZ AND LIKELY MAKES A UNIQUE SOUND. UNLIKE REGULAR DRUMSTICKS AS THEY STRIKE IN A DIFFERENT FASHON. IT MAY NOT BE A DRUMSTICK AT ALL BUT ITS MY BEST GUESS, IT CERTIANLY ISN'T A SOCK STRECHER
PERHAPS THERE IS A DRUM FORUM WHERE YOU COULD INQUIRE. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 07:08 PM   #9
pebuxy

Default Sock stretcher

Hi again Vandoo, a tribal sock stretcher...unique piece...lol. Thx for the reply and making your old brain work for me.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Default Drumstick

Canadian Indian, Barry ?
Eskimo, Inuit perhaps ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 12:22 AM   #11
pebuxy

Default Pic

Hi Rick, I ll post a better pic tomorrow, so you all can get a " feel " of the wood, grain...thx for any suggestion !