Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 23rd January 2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Question Old saber from a barn in northeastern Pennsylvania

A friend found this saber in his grandfather's barn in northeastern Pennsylvania, probably about fifty years ago. The blade is 26¼ inches long with an overall hilted length of 36½ inches. There is a short ricasso with stamped marks - one is a W under a star within an impressed shield shape (not the teardrop as in the image below) and another much less well struck possibly with a P inside an impressed circle or oval. The opposite face of the ricasso appears to have a 'G' mark. The back of the blade is flat but it becomes sharp in the final 5½ inches. The body of the blade is mostly a wide shallowly convex fuller with a narrow bevel to the edge. The hilt is missing the guard (indeed, the hilt had been stuck back on backwards for longer than I have lived), but it is clear that there was a knuckle guard once that inserted into the pommel. The grip and pommel are covered in sheet iron which may be seen to be over a wooden core.

The blade looks to be of military type and I'll speculate later 18th to mid 19th century. I am not sure that I can place an octagonal iron clad grip, but that makes me suspect militia. So possibly something from the American Revolution up through to the War of 1812?

Your suggestions are welcomed!
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 07:45 PM   #2
ulfberth

Hi Lee,

it looks like the French naval sabre d'abordage model 1811 or 1833, apparently it was also in use in different countries.

kind regards

Ulfberth

http://www.thepirateslair.com/9-anti...l-cutlass.html
Attached Images

ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Lee, many of these were imported on both sides of the US Civil War.

And of course, both sides copied these styles as they made their own and well in the same war. This could easily be US therefore.

However, I am not saying this is US Civil War, and after looking at some info on Revolutionary War blades, it might better with 1812 range, like what Ulberth is suggesting?

Last edited by Battara; 23rd January 2016 at 08:36 PM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 12:17 AM   #4
M ELEY

As Ulfberth pointed out, this is the French boarding cutlass M1811 or 33 (so hard to tell those two apart!). Battara makes a good case for possible CW usage as well. If I had to guess, I'd say Civil War over War of 1812.

I am assuming by 'barn find' that it was hidden in the rafters or some such, versus just hanging on a hook? If it were in the South, I'd have laid odds on a Confederate piece. Like the American colonists before them fighting the Brits, times were tough and weapons scarce. Southern fighters often carried parts-swords or blacksmith made weapons into battle, such as the so called 'Dog River swords'. These weapons were often stashed in walls, under floors and in old barns to prevent them from being seized by Union troops as they made their way through the towns. I've seen swords from the Mexican War, French imported swords, etc, used by the Confeds. Being from PA, this logic doesn't quite hold, UNLESS it was a war trophy/seizure, which was also quite common. Being that it is the remnants of a naval sword, it very well could have been carried by a rebel blockade runner sailor.

From the look of it, the sword looks like it was still in use in its present form, meaning it isn't just a remnant with parts fallen off. Likewise, I don't think it's a post-war put-together made to whack cornstalks with. During the War of 1812, we weren't so desparate for weapons that we needed to fight the war (American contractors like Nathan Starr and Rose were putting out cutlasses in droves). The only final possibility is that it was a French used cutlass used by a French privateer. As a private purchase sword, it could have been a parts sword (to save on cost), made for the 1812 War (France vs Great Britiain with lots of French piracy going on). Well, anyway, my 2 cents...
Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 07:20 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent catch Ulfberth! That surely does look like those French cutlasses, but anybodys guess what became of the guard.
Mark offers some compelling suggestions toward the presence of this as a possible privateer weapon, and it seems these regulation patterns often ended up becoming altered for any number of uses when out of their original context.

The absence of the large guard makes this resemble the machetes which were becoming well known in tropical colonial regions, and usually without any type of guard. French locations such as Haiti and other Caribbean locations might have been the source for such an altered sword. Being found in circumstances such as barn, garage etc. in modern times does not mean this was its location permanently. This may well have become a souvenier or carried via trade contacts which often went from these locations to American ports of call.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 09:08 AM   #6
ulfberth

Thanks Jim,

Years ago I have owned several of these , the French versions that is, they always intrigued me in any condition.
In France you can still find them but the Napoleonic model is very rare and these swords are very popular as they are collected by Naval collectors, people who like the look of a pirate sword and the classic collectors.
They have this raw look upon them and when you hold them in your hands the balance is so great it feels like your arm got an extensions in the form of a sword, and although they look big they can be used from the wrist to.

Next time I see one I might be tempted again

Kind regards

Ulfberth
Old 24th January 2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile The forum community is once again triumphant

Ulfberth, I think that you have surely 'nailed' it right on the head! The owner remembers swinging it around in the barn as a child. I'll ask if there is anything in the family history that might favor any of the possibilities pointed out by M. Eley. I know that my friend also has what he believes is an American Civil War naval officer's sword along with a picture of the original owner in uniform wearing it! I'll see about getting pictures of that and will report back whatever else I learn.

The flat back did make me wonder if the blade were French, but there were no remains of any engraving there. So, I do not feel totally ignorant and my friend will be thrilled that with your help the original origin has been identified. Thank you all for your assistance thus far!
Old 24th January 2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Shakethetrees

These are some of he most wonderfully balanced edged weapons out there.

I got one many years ago from an antique dealer dated from the 1830's and, without getting into the subtleties of fighting styles, for basic defense when you need something that is perfect for down and dirty hacking and visual intimidation, you'd be hard pressed to find another that is superior!

Check the back carefully near where the guard meets the blade. The manufacturer and date should be etched there.

Another thought I had about its origin. In the family is a U.S. Naval Officer's sword, correct? The U.S. was in Haiti in 1915, and again in 1919-1920.

While Haiti was not a French Colony after about 1805 and was somewhat of a pariah country during the 19th century, I would think these cutlasses would have been available on the open market in the late 19th/early 20th for use as agricultural tools.

It will take some time, but it is possible to acquire the Naval Officer's service record, revealing his past service entitlements.

A shot in the dark, but a possibility of uncovering pay dirt!

This model was never imported for use by either side during the Civil War. I'll have to dig out my references, but I believe some info about this weapon is in a couple of books put out by Man At Arms several years ago, titled something like "fighting arms in the age of sail" or something like that. My old mind is going.....

BUT, they were evidently used as a model for the U.S. Model 1860 naval cutlass that was still to be found in lockers aboard some American ships into WWII.

There's no confusion between the French and U.S. models, as the one under discussion had a sheet iron grip and large "soup ladle" guard, while the M-1860 had typical Cavalry saber mounts and a brass guard, with a spirally wrapped leather covered grip similar to the then current cavalry sabers. It's scabbard was composed of all black leather with copper rivets about every two inches or so.

Last edited by Shakethetrees; 24th January 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ulfberth, you are most welcome, and thank you as always for responding to me personally. I am always grateful for your courtesy.
As has been noted your identification is spot on. While Haiti may have ceased officially as a French colony in 1805, the French presence certainly did not disappear. The note was mostly to relate the distinct French type of the sword and the sans guard condition toward machete type arms in use in tropical regions. Actually, 'machetes' developed prominently in Spanish colonial areas of New Spain from many 'espada ancha' frontier swords.

While no swords were imported in volume or record for the 'cause' in the period of the War of 1812, the entry of French arms through normal trade or other interaction in many ports of call cannot be discounted. As always, these arms as with other kinds of implements easily became surplus items which were of course recycled for utilitarian use.

I recall years ago when a broadsword with simple crossguard was found in Canada, and excited media hype claimed a medieval broadsword probably from the time of the Crusades. It turned out to be a Sudanese kaskara which had been once in the basement of a British soldier who had served in the Sudan and later moved to Canada.
In another case in New York, a sword was excavated and archaeologists proclaimed it to be a Roman gladius.......it turned out to be a U.S. M1833 foot artillery sword!

Many 'finds' in long static conditions such as garages, attics and barns of particularly out of context items do not necessarily secure provenance as part of its working life, but simply after the fact 'collected' status.

Our family once lived in a location which had been the site of an AAF base (it was about 1956) and my brother and I, adventurous young boys actually 'found' an old practice 500 pounder bomb partially buried in a field.
As it was empty (of course) we both carried the large piece through neighborhoods on the way home (to the dismay of many residents!).
While our parents were stunned, they let us keep this thing until dad finally put it in the attic.
When we moved and arrived states away my brother and I noted the 'bomb' was not among the things unloaded. Dad had 'forgotten' it, still in that attic.
I would have loved to see the faces of the new owners as they went into the attic!
Old 24th January 2016, 07:50 PM   #10
ulfberth

Hi Guy's thanks for the compliments,

I think these are two controleur stamps, the one seems the be a B and the other could be an M instead of a W, that would place the sword right into the period of the Napoleonic wars.
I cant be sure, the stamps are not clear enough.

Kind regards

Ulfberth
Attached Images

Old 25th January 2016, 12:10 AM   #11
M ELEY

Jim, great story about that bomb of yours!! Priceless! In our past correspondence, I've always enjoyed your incredible stories!

Back to this mystery sword. I had factored in the possibility of a parts sword 'used to whack cornstalks', as I put it. It would have made an effective machete for sugarcane and what not. Still, a part of me hopes it had a higher purpose in its present form. Hopefully, we'll see-
Old 25th January 2016, 12:19 PM   #12
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfberth
... I think these are two controleur stamps, the one seems the be a B and the other could be an M instead of a W, that would place the sword right into the period of the Napoleonic wars...
Yes, that sure is what immediately comes to mind but, the design of the shield/escutcheon and the relative position of the star don't concur

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 01:10 PM   #13
ulfberth

They do Fernando they do, but due the condition of the stamps and the pics it could be the one or the other, perhaps this distinction can be made IRL.
I have seen hundreds of these stamps IRL and if the blade is rusted ot pitted its easy to mistake the one for the other.
Thats way I stated " it could be" and " I cant be sure the stamps are not clear enough"
Old 25th January 2016, 02:24 PM   #14
Lee
EAAF Staff

Red face A correction and some additional information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
Another thought I had about its origin. In the family is a U.S. Naval Officer's sword, correct?
Check the back carefully near where the guard meets the blade. The manufacturer and date should be etched there.
I got confused with what my friend had told me; there is a Civil War sword descended in the family, but the naval officer apparently served in the Spanish American War time frame. I will get further details.

Because the blade looked 'French' to me, I had carefully searched for the usual script engraving along the back spine near the grip, but there was no trace. It may have been obliterated by rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfberth
I cant be sure the stamps are not clear enough
My lighting unfortunately does not do a great job with the marks. Holding a LED flashlight close disclosed the 'star over W within shield stamp' fairly clearly. I will see about getting someone to hold the flashlight while I try a close-up and that should provide a clear image of that mark.

Continuing my correction about the incorrect family connection I provided above with some additional information:

1. My friend's grandfather (whose barn the cutlass came from) was an officer during WWI, apparently leading a unit staffed by black soldiers, that very likely fought in Europe and apparently he had brought home souvenirs of that conflict including a Luger pistol and a pickelhaube helmet.

2. The same gentleman, for a time, also had a seasonal home in Camden, South Carolina and brought back furniture and other items from that residence to Pennsylvania.

3. The sword was not hidden in the barn when my friend encountered it as a child, but there with a lot of other interesting old stuff.

4. The level of corrosion is fairly aggressive towards the tip.

I realize this information supports at least three of the theories suggested above...
Old 29th January 2016, 12:24 AM   #15
Lee
EAAF Staff

The images looked a lot better on the camera preview screen, but here is the best one for what it is worth...
Attached Images

Old 29th January 2016, 01:11 PM   #16
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

What do we have here ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 01:41 PM   #17
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Precisely

I think these are the identical blade marks; unfortunately depth of field issues prevent my close-up photo from properly showing the top of the shield in the star over W mark, but it is pretty clear to the naked eye with the sword in hand. Thank you all again.
Old 1st February 2016, 03:23 PM   #18
CutlassCollector

I came across a list of poincons for Chatellerault today while looking for something else.
I found the W with star above in the shield which relates to S. Wideman controller First Class from 1836 to 1843.
He was plain W without the star - second class - from 1829 to 1836.

The director between 1837 and 1839 was C.L.C Dupont de Pontcharra whose stamp was a P with star above in a circle. If that is the same as your P stamp it would date the blade nicely to a two year period.

Regards,

CC
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 05:07 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nicely done CC!!!! Thank you......adding to notes.
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:23 AM   #20
M ELEY

That was great work, CC! And Fernando for confirming that the mark existed from that article. Considering the date of manufacture, we can rule out War of 1812 and privateering.

What's left? A bringback sword that got broken/deteriorated over time, a sword used to whack crops, tobacco, corn stalks, etc. A Confederate imported sword captured by Lee's friend's ancestor??
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:32 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
That was great work, CC! And Fernando for confirming that the mark existed from that article. Considering the date of manufacture, we can rule out War of 1812 and privateering.

What's left? A bringback sword that got broken/deteriorated over time, a sword used to whack crops, tobacco, corn stalks, etc. A Confederate imported sword captured by Lee's friend's ancestor??

This was great identification work indeed! and the rest is for the historical detection part, which of course can only be very speculative. We have to consider that the sword itself played a very minimal role during the Civil War (or as I was often corrected while living in Tennessee...The War Between the States). While still a secondary arm for cavalry, and in degree in certain other units, they saw relatively little use with Union forces.

With Confederate forces, there was considerably less formality in many cases, and indeed much more presence of the sword. Many surplus and even current issue forms from England were brought into the South by many means, and I have seen news ads from Southern sources calling for swords of any kind to be brought to suppliers.

Of course these notes concerning the presence and use of the sword can be debated ad nauseum (and often are), the point is that a French naval sword brought back to Pennsylvania from the Civil War is highly unlikely in my view.

If the Pennsylvania provenance is sound, and has been in that context for many years (rather than a souvenier or collected item from more recent times) we might consider this arriving at any of the Northern ports of call via a French ship. As far as I recall from much younger years, one of the greatest and exciting charms of port cities are the pawn shops. These were always phenomenal for the curiosities left there by sailors of ships of all flags as they sought funds for their activities in port.
Items like these often became 'stakes' in the gambling of sailors ashore, or even such as in French occupied areas in Africa, where soldiers gambled away items of kit and issue.

From there, any number of things might have added to the condition of the weapon, including the adventures of young 'knights' playing with a sword found stashed away in a barn or garage....or use as a utility implement.

Imagining any or all of these possibilities only adds to the mystery and intrigue of these old weapons, as we well know!! right Mark!!
Total adventure!
Old 4th February 2016, 03:27 AM   #22
M ELEY

Of course! Northern ports of call! That one slipped past my tired brain! Likewise, a pawned item lost to debts or gambling makes total sense.Totally sound argument on the disrespect for edged weapons during the War between the States. I know the mystery won't completely be solved, but the evidence at least closes some of the more whimsical theories (of which I heavily contributed!- ).
Old 4th February 2016, 06:48 AM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Of course! Northern ports of call! That one slipped past my tired brain! Likewise, a pawned item lost to debts or gambling makes total sense.Totally sound argument on the disrespect for edged weapons during the War between the States. I know the mystery won't completely be solved, but the evidence at least closes some of the more whimsical theories (of which I heavily contributed!- ).
Mark, you know you and I are inherently somewhat whimsical characters!!
but that's what makes all this the adventure that it is!!
Sometimes the reality of the provenance of many of the weapons we study is less than the colorful scenes we imagine, but they are still very much history.....these pieces were there to see it. We gotta respect em for that!
Old 6th February 2016, 01:00 PM   #24
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Lee, many of these were imported on both sides of the US Civil War.

And of course, both sides copied these styles as they made their own and well in the same war. This could easily be US therefore.
I have not seen a single one.
Do you have literature references for any French cutlass purchases by either of the Confederacy or the Union?
Thanks.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote