Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
CutlassCollector

Default Four Big Axes

I have just acquired a US boarding axe described in Gilkerson as a Type II and currently taking pride of place in my collection. It fits his description well, although I think that the shaft has probably been shortened by a few inches. Here it is compared with my other three large boarding axes. From left to right:

1) British, perhaps early part of the 19th century. It is heavily pitted and no markings remain but even with the pitting the axe is very heavy and substantial. As an indication of this the metal thickness at the base of the spike is slightly over ½” (15mm) thick. The head rivets indicate that it has been re-hafted at some point and I wonder if the haft was increased in length as it is a full 4 ft. (1.2m) long. With the long shaft it is well balanced but I think too heavy to be wielded quickly as an effective weapon.

2) French – unknown model. Last year forum members identified this axe as most likely of French origin either pre-regulation or private purchase. It certainly has French characteristics – front and rear langets, flared blade, four-sided spike and the handle swelling towards the end. It is marked with a rack number on the wood and both haft and head have a black coating. The head on this axe is more massive than the Brit one, thicker and bigger but despite its aggressive looks it is not well balanced and I think it may have been more use as a tool then a weapon.

3) Scandinavian. Although this axe came from a Swedish collection it more closely matches a Danish version. It has the classic Scandinavian shape with the flared head and long slender spike with a downward curve. Although the blade is a similar length from cutting edge to tip of spike as the other three the slender spike and cut away flare makes this axe much lighter and the weight and length of the haft make it well balanced. This axe feels like a weapon.

4) US Type II c.1812. Gilkerson states that, although this was not an officially sanctioned pattern and due to the shortage of arms at the time it was made by various manufacturers, there are enough shared characteristics to define it as a type.
The head is corroded evenly but is in generally good condition. From the rivet heads I think it is the original haft but I cannot identify the wood. Although it looks varnished it appears to be naturally dark in colour. With the exception of the tooth cut out it is very closely related to the Brit axe in terms of size and shape but is of much thinner material and therefore lighter. This axe too feels like it would be a useful weapon.
CC.
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
CutlassCollector

Default Comparison of Heads

Close up comparison of heads of the four. CC
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2013, 09:14 AM   #3
kronckew

love the shiney frenchy with the lighter brown haft.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
kisak

Apart from the perhaps slight thinner back spike the Scandinavian one really does look spot on for the Swedish navy's boarding axe m/1780. Did the Danes really have a model that matches even better?
Attached Images

kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
CutlassCollector

Hi Kisak,

Thats interesting, you may be correct and I have to agree it's a very close match to your axe even to the wood type. I chose between two drawings in a book the Swedish 1780 and a similar period Danish example, the latter seemed closer.

Mine has a mark that may help clarify, although it is not clear. It appears to be an inverted T shape, possibly a cross + with the lower part missing. This is overwritten by an X shaped cross in a circle and there is also another X on the blade to the right in the picture. I think these are de-commissioned, sold out of service marks similar to the British opposing broad arrow -><- which indicated the same.
Although I am not certain so any comments appreciated. CC
Attached Images

Old 1st July 2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlassCollector
Mine has a mark that may help clarify, although it is not clear. It appears to be an inverted T shape, possibly a cross + with the lower part missing. This is overwritten by an X shaped cross in a circle and there is also another X on the blade to the right in the picture. I think these are de-commissioned, sold out of service marks similar to the British opposing broad arrow -><- which indicated the same.
Although I am not certain so any comments appreciated. CC
Yes, it's a Swedish naval 'taken out of service' mark, the crossed circle.

Do you have up-close photos of the American axe head?
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:30 AM   #7
CutlassCollector

[QUOTE=Dmitry]Yes, it's a Swedish naval 'taken out of service' mark, the crossed circle.

Hi Dmitry,
Thanks for the confimation I figured it was probably that. Guess I still need to know whether the Danes used the same.
I have pm'd you with a link for more pictures. CC