Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2023, 05:13 AM   #1
ASPaulding

Default Could I please get opinions on how old this Yataghan is and ID small knives?

Hello friends, I recently got this Yataghan with these small knives. I familiar with the Yataghan but I do not know how old this example is. The hilt seems to be made of wood and a wire grip. I thought most examples are bone or ivory. The scabbord is very ornate, but I'm not sure what it is made out of. Lastly is the blade wootz or mono steel? The small knives are just a puzzle to me. Thank you for any information you can share.
Attached Images

ASPaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2023, 12:59 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

The yatgan might be from Turkey proper and the small knives look a little to me like they are from the Trazbon region in Turkey on the Black Sea.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2023, 03:26 AM   #3
ASPaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
The yatgan might be from Turkey proper and the small knives look a little to me like they are from the Trazbon region in Turkey on the Black Sea.
Thank you for sharing. Any clue how old the yatgan is?
Old 28th July 2023, 04:20 AM   #4
ASPaulding

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
The small knives look a little to me like they are from the Trazbon region in Turkey on the Black Sea.
I found this old thread on a similar knife set. I guess my example is just dual small bichaq. It's funny how there is just so much information on the forum. If you look hard enough, you can find information about everything. Everybody sharing and learning together. I wish I was a member at the beginning of the forum... Thank you again.
Attached Images