Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2024, 07:06 PM   #1
RobT

Default Short Sword ID Requested

Hi All,

I recently got this chopper that the seller described as a middle eastern machete. I’m sure that it is neither middle eastern nor a machete but I haven’t a clue as to what it is. My best guess is southeast Asia with a second guess of northeast Indian subcontinent. The sword is very heavy and could strike a devastating blow but, in my opinion, isn’t balanced for a quick recovery so I suspect that it was for animal sacrifice rather than combat. The blade has one narrow fuller and two incised panels on each side. There are also a number of decorative notches filed into the rebated area. The edge of the rebated area is quite blunt and was never intended to cut. The round brass hilt (whether one piece or multiple pieces, I can’t tell) doesn’t provide the completely positive grip needed for combat. There is a ferrous metal cylinder (probably part of the tang) projecting from the pommel that may have been used to attach a decorative finial but is too short to anchor a two handed grip addition. No sheath
Specs:
Blade Length, about 17.5” long (44.45cm) as measured from the center at hilt to tip at edge
Blade Width, about 2.5” (6.35cm) at tip and 1.75” (4.445cm) just before rebate
Blade Rebate Length, about 5” (12.7cm)
Blade Rebate Width, about1.24’ - 1.125” (3.175cm - 2.8575cm)
SpineThickness, a hair over .5” (1.27cm) at hilt

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote