Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Two Indian Knives for interest and/or comment

Hello Everyone,

The first one, I believe, is called a The O/L"Tigers Tooth" and has an O/L of 13 ins with a blade 8.5 ins lg x 4 ins wide at its widest part. the hilt is bone and the scabbard is of wood covered in leather with a brass chape.

The second one has a "Kukri" shaped blade with a pearl and greenstone hilt and short steel Quillon's. The O/L is 9.75 ins having a blade length of 6.5 ins. The scabbard is of wood covered in leather with a steel chape.
Thank you
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Miguel

Obviously not interesting enough for comment
Miguel
Old 9th June 2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The blade of the second one is appealing visually.
My 2 cents.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Miguel

Thanks Rick
Old 10th June 2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here must be one of the Indian Classics... The Tiger Tooth... In my view one of the most efficient dagger blades ever made. Often with a reinforced tip for piercing armour/thick clothing and with chiselled blade making for a lighter stronger blade. I assume the tang goes right through to the typical 3 lobed pommel and there is one I saw with a tiger striped horn hilt ~ at 2 below..

See1. http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=2495
See2. http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/s995_full.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Miguel

Thank you for your reply Ibrahiim and particularly for the links showing two very good examples of the "Tigers Tooth" dagger. Your assumption regarding the tang is correct.
Regards
Miguel
Old 21st June 2017, 04:14 PM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Here must be one of the Indian Classics... The Tiger Tooth... In my view one of the most efficient dagger blades ever made. Often with a reinforced tip for piercing armour/thick clothing and with chiselled blade making for a lighter stronger blade. I assume the tang goes right through to the typical 3 lobed pommel and there is one I saw with a tiger striped horn hilt ~ at 2 below..

See1. http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=2495
See2. http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/s995_full.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
These are good examples of the two types I mentioned, one with ivory hilt and wootz, the other with horn and not wootz.

The family of daggers known as Tiger Teeth are coming from North India, They are characterized by the slender curved blade, usually with reinforced edges and slightly thickened tip. The hilt is of a full tang style, with big bolsters, wide grip strap and very typical three lobed pommel. This specific one has a fine 8 1/2 inches blade forged from good wootz (Damascus) steel with fine gold koftgari work on the ricasso bolsters and grip strap. The grips are ivory. Total length 13 1/2 inches.

Indian tiger tooth jambiya, 33cms long when sheathed.
Out of the sheath the dagger is 30cms long with a broad 20cm blade.
The hilt is a very well selected section of horn, cut and polished to resemble Tiger stripes. The blade has two broad central fullers, a chiseled forte and a thickened armour piercing point. The sheath is timber inners covered in a finely grained leather that is finished with a pierced brass end with a bud finial.

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 04:30 PM   #8
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel

The second one has a "Kukri" shaped blade with a pearl and greenstone hilt and short steel Quillon's. The O/L is 9.75 ins having a blade length of 6.5 ins. The scabbard is of wood covered in leather with a steel chape.
Thank you
Miguel
Not just a "kukri" shaped blade, it is an Indian kukri, nice example, I have not seen this type of handle on a kukri, the same type of work usually seen on Indian daggers.

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote