Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd August 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question North+West African ram rods

I do not have guns. Can any gun collectors give pictures and dimension information on African ram rods, to establish whether this spike weapon could be fitted to a ram rod and serve as a rudimentary bayonet. Thank you.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Kubur

Hi,
I don't think that is a ramrod, please see the recent posts.
I think that's a Lebel bayonet from 1886 turned into a dagger.
I won't be surprised if this dagger comes from Morocco or Algeria...
Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I know this is not a ram rod, but could it fit on a ram rod to serve as a rudimentary bayonet. Is a ram rod thin enough to go through what could be the attachment holes?
Old 24th August 2015, 06:50 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi Tim.
As Kubur mentions, this looks like it started life as a bayonet for an early Lebel rifle. Which, in that case, would have a cleaning rod under the stock versus a ramrod, since this Lebel would be in the later black powder cartridge period versus an early muzzle loader. I don't know how the Lebel bayonet fastened to the rifle.
To convert this bayonet for use on a metal ramrod on a muzzle loading rifle would be very impractial. The weight of the bayonet on the end of the rod would be very heavy, and would likely bend and split the gun stock on the first thrust.
Question: Does the groove on the bottom of the handle look like it was made that way? Or cut out latter ?
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 07:14 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Hello Tim,

I certainly believe it is based on a Lebel bayonet, but the finish is quite different, and the blade is not fluted.

More likely I think it was made to resemble the Lebel bayonet. (Image attached, courtesy of http://www.bajonet.be )

As to whether it would/could be fitted to a cleaning rod I am unsure, but the caveats listed by Rick are certainly worth bearing in mind, and would make it fairly impractical I think.

Certainly an interesting piece none the less.

Kind regards,

Chris
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Somehow the visual information ie my fingers and the attaching holes, is not getting through. Could this fit on tribal guns/flintlocks ram rods?
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Pukka Bundook

Tim,

A ram rod /clearing rod would not be sufficiently strong to support this "bayonet' in use. Said rod would bend/break and be Very difficult to hold if separate from the gun as well.
If attached to gun via the clearing rod, said rod would have to screw in to the stock at the breech end so as not to come loose in use.

I don't see use as a bayonet attached to a ramrod or whatever as being practical.

Been wrong before though!
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 08:46 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Somehow the visual information ie my fingers and the attaching holes, is not getting through. Could this fit on tribal guns/flintlocks ram rods?
Hi Tim,
OK a straight answer to your question. Yes it COULD fit, BUT as Richard says it seems to me to be rather impractical for the reasons already mentioned, and for that matter it could fit ANYTHING of the right diameter. If a tribal person had one of these, IMHO, it would be much more useful to use it as a hand held weapon.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote