Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th September 2018, 07:33 PM   #1
RobT

Default Twin Dha Translation Requested

Hi All,

I picked up these two dha a few months ago. The seller described them as "plain Jane" but I think that they are quite nice. The longer sword has a 20.75" blade and an 8.25" hilt. The shorter sword has a 20.25" blade with a 7.75" hilt. All hardware is brass. Both hilts have a thin brass washer between the blade and the hilt. The longer sword also has a brass washer at the end of the butt cap. The shorter sword probably had one also but, if it were there originally, it is now missing and there is no ghost. The brass chape on the end of the shorter sword's sheath is also missing but its ghost is plainly visible. The shorter sheath measures 20.5" while the longer one is just shy of 21.75". Both sheaths are bound with vegetative matter. The spines of both blades have flat decorative panels which contain brass inserts and inscriptions. Curiously, the panel on the longer blade only measures about 6.5" long and has only 3 brass inserts while the shorter blade's panel is 7.5" long and has 4 brass inserts. There are 2 inscriptions on the longer blade but only 1 on the shorter blade. They appear to be Burmese. I have provided clear photos of both. Does anyone want to have a go? Both blades have peaked spines after the flat section ends and both blades have negligible distal taper across the flats. Given the similarity between both blades, their rather unadorned nature, and the presence of the inscriptions, I suspect that the swords are military issue. Does anyone have any ideal about age?

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rob:

Nice pair of dha. The script is Burmese, as you note, but I cannot translate it for you. The slightly curved blade with broad fuller might be Burman in manufacture, but I think it is more likely from southern China (Yunnan). The style of dress for the scabbard and hilt suggest mid-20th C manufacture, perhaps a little earlier or later.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 14th September 2018 at 12:53 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 10:04 PM   #3
DhaDha

I can't add to what Ian has said. Except to say that it is great to see a pair. Hopefully someone can translate.
DhaDha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 12:52 AM   #4
RobT

Default Possibly Military?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response. Is there any possibility that the swords were military issue?

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 18th September 2018, 03:53 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rob,

I seriously doubt that these were intended for military use. If we look at WWII-era dha, they were fairly plain with plaited rattan strips holding the scabbards together, and similar strips on their plain wooden hilts. Dha, as legitimate fighting weapons, were largely replaced by guns by the mid- to late-19th C. The dha continued mainly as a large, general purpose, "bush knife."

Everything about the pair you show suggests 20th C manufacture, which is well after the dha was used as a primary weapon. The materials suggest relatively inexpensive swords that are fully functional, but may have been reduced to ceremonial/display functions at the time they were made.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response. Is there any possibility that the swords were military issue?

Sincerely,
RobT
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2018, 02:18 AM   #6
RobT

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. If I manage to get a translation, I will post what I am told.

Sincerely,
RobT