Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 2nd November 2018, 12:51 PM   #31
Paul B.

True but if you happen to deal with a gandariras sheath but in case the gandar is an individual element then the risk of breaking at the weak point ( the glued neck part) is realistic. Then you're stuck with the a pendok completely hidden inside the pendok and if you are lucky the tongues haven't broken. If so there is little grip to reglue afterwards....
Worse, some gandar break of at the very end and stay in the bottom end of a pendok. Then you do have a real problem so consider doing so.
In the past I bought a few nice pendok meant to replace other less valuable ones and I found out there was a gandar remnent, nasty experience!
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:01 PM   #32
A. G. Maisey

None of the things you mention --- plus a whole swathe of things you do not mention --- are even the smallest problem Paul.

You use a segrek to remove a gandar that comes off the gambar, if you do not have a segrek, a Swiss Army Knife saw or a keyhole saw works reasonably well.

Broken tongues are easily replaced and the replacement will be better and stronger than the original. Bambu is the best material, 5 minute araldite is the best adhesive.

I have never had any part of a gandar break deep inside a pendok that could not be removed. Usually a segrek will remove small stuck pieces, but once or twice I have needed to use a long chisel to cut out small broken pieces.

There is absolutely nothing with a keris that cannot be fixed, and the removal of a glued pendok is about as simple as any job gets.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:30 PM   #33
drdavid

Hi Alan, is there any chance you have a picture of a segrek you could show us
cheers
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:16 PM   #34
A. G. Maisey

I did post pics of a segrek, and I think maybe some other tools, some time ago. I just tried a search but could not find the pics.

I'm not at home at the moment, if necessary I'll post pics of one next week. In essence, it is like a saw with reverse teeth that cut on the pull stroke, not the push stroke.

For a tool that is to be used to remove a gandar from a pendok only, it is a very easy to make one from mild steel --- it does not need to cut, only to have the teeth reverse direction so it will grip the inside of a gandar. You can also make a tool that will do the job from an old pruning saw by grinding down the blade with an angle grinder.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:33 PM   #35
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I did post pics of a segrek, and I think maybe some other tools, some time ago.
Look here:http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...06&postcount=6
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:06 AM   #36
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Thanks Detlef!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 12:09 AM   #37
Athanase

Hello,
Finally I succeed to separate the gandar and pendok. The glue was only on the upper part, at the junction with the wrangka.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 03:37 AM   #38
drdavid

Thanks Detlef and well done Athanase
Drd
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote