Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd April 2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Ron B.

Default Who can tell me more?

First of all, let me introduce myself:
My name is Ron, and I am from The Netherlands. I have no special interest in arms and/or armour. My English is not very good, but I'll try, and hope that you al will understand what I mean.

When my grandfather died, approx. 20 years ago, he left me a sword, that he, as he said, had used when he was stationed in the West-Indies for his militairy service.

The sword is placed in a wooden shaft.
On the metal part, just below the wooden grip, there is an inscription: TJIKR.
The whole metal part is engraved. The tip is in good shape; not damaged.

Hopefully the pictures will tell you more, and will you be able to determinate this particular sword, and tell me something about its history.

Is this a rare and/or interesting item?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Ron B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=tjikeroeh
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Ron B.

Hey Rick, thanks for the link.
I see that you have one, nearly the same one as I have.
Only yours says TJIKEROE.. engraved in the length of the blad, while mine says TJIKR on the width, just below the wooden handle. The birds head is shows a lot of similarity.
Do you know how much it is worth? Someone wants to buy it for € 80,=.
That is approx. US$ 108.=
Ron B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Maurice

Hi Ron,

I think it is worth what one would give for it (and how much he wants it).
A real collector will pay more as just a person. If his collection is complete than he will pay a lot more than others. And if there is someone with a lot of money who is a collector, will not look at a few dollars more or less.Here in the Netherlands you see these goloks regularly for sale.

However I will give you my opinion.
If it was used by my grandfather at that time, it would be worth a lot to me and I wouldn't sell it because of the worth it has emotionally.

Kind regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Pangeran Datu

Hello Ron,
Welcome to the forum.
I recognised the '28(?) Vorhout and couldn't resist a comment.

First of all, I believe that this forum doesn't give price evaluations. (perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong), Having said that however, I believe that you are quite welcome to do so via a PM.

Regarding the sale and price, I agree entirely with Javagolok. Furthermore, I would view the piece as a PUSAKA/heirloom (no matter what its condition) and would try to preserve and maintain it in a manner befitting an item of that status. I wouldn't part with it unless absolutely necessary.(One man's junk, another man's treasure?).

BTW ... The item was made in the town of Tjikeroeh (now Cikeruh, meaning 'murky water'), Parahyangan (more familiar to the Dutch as Preanger),West Java, Indonesia. The town no longer makes such edged weapons. So, if nothing else, you have a piece of history.

As for the 'bird's head' tip, the Sunda people (who made these items), refer to it as a form of Sanggul (loosely translated=hairpiece/bun). In other areas, it may be referred to as a Makara (sea-monster's head) form.

'Nuff said.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

groet.

Last edited by Pangeran Datu; 24th April 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 01:39 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Pangeran is correct, we don't do price appraisals here, but as he suggests, you might get an estimate through private messaging. I also agree that if this had belonged to my grandfather i would keep it in the family.
David is offline   Reply With Quote