Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2008, 02:03 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Oils

Just got 15ml of Sri Lanka sandalwood oil (santalum album), steam distilled .
One hundred smackeroos .
Should last for quite a long time .... I hope .

The stuff has a very nice scent; not cloying or too sweet .
Funny, they date the stuff like wine; this batch is Spring 2007 .

Can anyone offer a mixing ratio with mineral oil ?
I don't think this stuff will need any cananga; it's nice all on its own .

Another amusing thing; our Ridgeback hound will not go anywhere near it .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Bill S

While doing a search on oils in this forum, someone (I think it was A. G. Maisey) had posted a recipe. It was 50% liquid parafin (mineral oil), 45% sandalwood oil, 5% kenanga (Cananga) oil. If you are omitting the Cananga, I'm guessing you'd still go with 50% mineral oil, 50% essential (fragrant) oil, in this case sandalwood oil. But I'm completely new to this, so hopefully someone with more background will jump in here.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 08:23 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Goodness me Rick, that cost you a lot of money!

I bought a kilo a couple years ago, and it cost me around RP2 000 000.

My wife is in Solo at the moment, and she's under orders to bring home another kilo with her, I'll find out exactly what the stuff I use costs at the moment.

What you use is pretty much a personal preference, I got my mix from a bloke who used to work for me, who got it from his grandfather who was one of the famous old m'ranggis. I reckon at $100 for 15ml I'd be using it at the rate of two drops per 10ml of liquid parafin.

The kenanga is not essential, but it is the kenanga that gives my oil the faint bitey smell, without the kenanga it has nice round smell.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Goodness me Rick, that cost you a lot of money!

I bought a kilo a couple years ago, and it cost me around RP2 000 000.

My wife is in Solo at the moment, and she's under orders to bring home another kilo with her, I'll find out exactly what the stuff I use costs at the moment.

What you use is pretty much a personal preference, I got my mix from a bloke who used to work for me, who got it from his grandfather who was one of the famous old m'ranggis. I reckon at $100 for 15ml I'd be using it at the rate of two drops per 10ml of liquid parafin.

The kenanga is not essential, but it is the kenanga that gives my oil the faint bitey smell, without the kenanga it has nice round smell.
Ahh, then it's no wonder you can mix it at almost 50/50 Alan .
Now mate are you pulling my leg about 2 drops per 10 ml; I guess I'll give her a go and see for myself .

The price you quoted is breaking my heart !!

I've come to the conclusion that the older I get the less I know; not sure if it's Wisdom or Alzhiemer's ........

Rick
Old 6th March 2008, 06:04 PM   #5
kai

I'm sure the stuff Alan is using is already "prediluted" - what you usually can buy in Europe isn't pure sandalwood oil by a long, long stretch and I guess this holds true for most commercial venues worldwide (regardless of actual quality).

If Rick's oil is pure essential sandalwood oil, it might actually be a good buy (need to refresh my memory though). A drop or two may be enough for 100ml base oil.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hello Kai,

The lable says this stuff is "steam Distilled".
Got it from www.naturesgift.com .
They claim it is pure .

I find it very interesting that it is 'vintaged' but I suppose every year's batch is a little different .

Rick