Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.
Default My Bugis keris

Keris friends, I have the greatest pleasure in informing you that I have become the proud (and relieved) owner of my second KERIS! I say relieved, because I never thought I would even GET another one, taking into account where I live and what my surroundings are, i.e. non keris environment, non collector environment etc. In my town I know three collectors, and they just looked at me blankly and vigorously shook their heads when I broached the topic of the keris. The one collected war medals, the other guns and the third had a truly motley accumulation of interesting stuff.

The purpose of this first post is to put out a number of pics of my keris for you to look at. I have taken them in very bright light and have enlarged them as much as I dared for viewing clarity. If they are still lacking, I apologise. One of the pics show the keris full-length, plus the only piece of the sheath I received, the rest is AWOL. The other pics are some closeups.

Be assured that I have done a LOT of reading up since my previous thread "My Javanese Keris" was posted. Notwithstanding, I still realise that it is all book-learning and I still have virtually no hands-on experience in seeing & handling a variety of kerisses. In general, I am not ashamed to say that I have been a student all my life, and I say one life is too short to not study all the time.

One more thing: I have come across some strange keris threads in this archive, but even they served somehow to give me food for thought. And yes, I have even come across a thread by Mr Maisey stating his total disgust (my words) at that travesty they call "rap". I want to state just as vigorously that I fully agree with the gentleman! And lastly, he has said in a thread that he would like to be called Alan. In my conservative Afrikaans culture we always wait until requested to drop the "Mr". Now that I have read what he said, I will have the honour of calling him Alan.
Attached Images

Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

My own opinion of this keris is that it is Bugis, from Sulawesi. The dapur is luk 7. The pamor is mlumah. It is a genuine oldie. Now I am ready to stand corrected on some or all of these initial observations! I will appreciate any and all comments. I'll be sure to have more questions afterwards!
Old 14th October 2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Green

i am a relative newbie myself but if i can hazard a comment. the keris is over cleaned (always my pet peeve , this) into shiny surface, otherwise it is a very decent piece.

Where is the cross piece (sampir, in malaysian terminology) of the sarong (scabbard) ?
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Henk

Great Bugis keris. Very nice catch. A pity the wrongko is missing.
Certainly not overcleaned. This is how a neat Bugis keris looks like.

I love it.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Jean

Hello Johan,
A good classical Bugis blade with typical pamor, probably from Sulawesi indeed. It was polished for removing the rust but there are some stains left, although not critical. As to further clean & stain it or not, I am showing one Bugis blade before and after treatment for your evaluation (with a different style of pamor and not the best example though).
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Sajen

Hello Johan,

yes like said by the other before, a decent Bugis blade and not overcleaned ( ) like said by Green. When this blade get further cleaned by fruit acid and get traditional etched it will look very nice like Jean has shown you. But you can let it also like this since it will be maybe a problem for you to get the blade etched. Congrats for your second keris!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Johan van Zyl

Jean, Green, Henk & Sajen, thank you. Yes, the wrongko is missing, as well as the buntut. I have researched what a typical Bugis keris sheath is supposed to look like, and I will have to carefully make the missing parts myself.

I am hoping my guess on the pamor being mlumah is correct. Can anyone please expand on the pamor of this blade and give further details as to pamor form and meaning?

I would think this keris falls age-wise between 1800 and 1900, with a median at about 1850. But I know this is only a guess. Do you think this guess falls within the realm of possibility?

Greetings
Johan

Last edited by Johan van Zyl; 15th October 2016 at 11:16 AM.