Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th May 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
mercierarmory

Default Giant Kukri. Authentic and not a tourist piece?

I have a new found friend that aquired a "sword" that he does not know much about. I published a handful of pictures on my website in hopes that someone here might be able to help out.

It's one of those giant kukris (the cerimonial bull beheading ones?) That appears to be an authentic one and not a tourist export. It has some remarkable engravings on the blade as you can see on the site. There are some coins glued to the scabbard and appears to be from Nepal.

What is everyones opinion on this? He said he paid $1000 for it, but it was appraised for $1800 (by who? I don't know). I know giving values over the net without seeing it in person isn't wise, but might this be the right ballpark or is it high? (or low).

He likes it a lot, but would possibly like to sell it to a collector that might appreciate it more than he does.

Anyways, the specs and pictures can be found at:

http://www.mercierarmory.com/nepal%2...al%20sword.htm

Thanks!

Mike
mercierarmory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

In my opinion this is not old but it is attractive. I think it was priced a little on the high side , but I do not know much about these weapons really.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 06:57 PM   #3
kronckew

there are a few people here who are more knowledgeable about the older kukhri's, and the touristy ones as well, you may also want to have a look and post over on the International Kukhri Research and Historical forum valuations are not discussed here but i also think the price is a bit high.

cows would not be sacrificed as far as i know, water buffalo maybe, goats are, but smaller (ie. 18in-24in.) khukris are more than adequate (i will not post pictures or links, but the kami's who make the khukris frequently sacrifice goats to bless the steel, they use a std. everyday model). many of larger ones engraved and coin decorated ones are tourist decorators. this may have been made for a temple ceremonial purpose, but i'm not up on that end of the market, only weapon and village tool ones.

Last edited by kronckew; 14th May 2007 at 07:13 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 07:18 PM   #4
mercierarmory

Thanks for the link to the site. I didn't know it existed. I did say Bull beheading, but I meant water buffalo.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 14th May 2007, 10:19 PM   #5
spiral

Hi Mike,

this thread certanly gets around!

Thats a currently made kukri for sale to tourist in Nepal & available for export, for about $150 to $250, including shipping, depending on which of the 3 main firms make it, & how good a deal you get on the ingraving.{They ingrave any kukri you want.}

The real ones used for beheading buffalo in Nepal are much smaller & lighter than that. & are not coverd in trinkets to catch a westerners eye! Talk about reversing the "beads for the natives" syndrome!

Last perfect one in the same style as the one you show, but with only a 30 inch blade, I saw sell on ebay last year for £36.

A collecter would only want one if they want an example of the largest modern tourist kukri made today. But at the price you friend payed , he best keep it as a lesson to research a subject before waisting his money.

Still it might be best not to tell him hes been ripped off? just tell him to put it on the wall & enjoy looking at it.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 11:01 PM   #6
mercierarmory

Thanks a lot for the info. Since I know nothing of weapons like this, I was going off his comments regarding it being a "real" piece and not one for tourists. The main reason he wanted to know value was becuase of wanting to part with it, but I think he will probably keep it now knowing he won't get what he was expecting.

Mike
Old 14th May 2007, 11:19 PM   #7
spiral

Thankyou Mike, Glad it helped.

Spiral
Old 14th May 2007, 11:32 PM   #8
ariel

I agree with spiral that it might be a good idea not to make the owner unhappy: he may get angry and, with such an implement, it may not end well.
Just gently purr in his ear " Everybody admired your big Kukri" or say that per inch of length the price was reasonable
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:05 AM   #9
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I agree with spiral that it might be a good idea not to make the owner unhappy: he may get angry and, with such an implement, it may not end well.
:
Yep he might put a disk out or dislocate his shoulder!

Actualy I try to only tell people there stuffs fake or junk etc. if they ask for opinions &/or offer to sell it to me.

If people dont ask, I let them keep there dreams & fantasies.

Spiral