Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Jenny Ida

Default turkoid machetoid & Islammic talisman

Hi, I had picked up this interesting sword and hoped for some help IDing the mark/origin. The blade is flat machete type blade with hammered surfaces. The mark is partially obscured/mis-struck, but does not neccessarily seem to be composed of Latin letters (at least not conventionally formed ones) could it be Cyrillic/Greek? Perhaps someone recognizes this? The handle is horn scales with sheet-brass liners a-la a pocket knife, which curve up to become shelf-like bolsters similar to the minimalist ones on some pesh-kabz. The pommel is a kilich-like globule.
The other item is to my best information an Isammic (African) amulet of some kind composed of sheet brass and paper with some Arabic(?) writing on the brass. Most curiously interesting is that it contains a magnet, and this makes me wonder if it might have some relation to steel weapons? I have sent drawing and rubbings to a friend who will hopefully post them soon for comment/translation. Thanks.
Jenny Ida is offline   Reply With Quote