Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th November 2010, 11:27 PM   #1
Cesare

Default Aanother sword inlaid with gold

Ciao a tutti
Purtroppo la spada non ha la guardia, ma la decorazione è tipica del periodo e della zona di origine indicati nella scheda.
Chiedo agli amici del forum se sono a conoscenza di armi con decorazioni simili a quella del "mio" museo

Hello everyone
Unfortunately, the sword has no Quillon, but the decoration is typical of the period and area of origin.
I ask the friends of the forum if they are aware of weapons with decorations similar to the one of "my" museum

Thanks
Cesare
Period:

Period
- Late 13th ÷ Early 14th century
Origin
- Southern Europe - Northern Italy

General dimensions
- Weight: 1167 g
- Overall length 1098 mm

Blade
- Length: 940 mm
- Narrow fuller
- Double edge
- Rounded point.
- Fuller length 650 mm approx.
- Fuller width 18 mm approx.
- Fuller max. depth 0.7 mm approx.

Hilt
- Grip length 96 mm
- Pommel discoid,flat
- Pommel width 66.8 mm
- Pommel height 62.0 mm
- Pommel thickness 21 ÷ 22 mm

Golden decoration on blade
- On both sides of the blade there is a decoration, golden inlaid: a circle surmounted by a stylized flower.
Attached Images

Cesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Cesare,

Another fine sample of the good quality arms collection of 'your' museum!

If I am not mistaken, the inlaid ornaments seem to reflect the caracteristic taste of decoration preferred by Southern Europe, i.e. Italy and the surroundig countries.

Again, thank you very much for all that detailed information!

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default In the detail

In the detail I see the gold inlay is twisted gold wire.

I note this as a point of interest only, as there have been discussions about these methods and certain aspects pointing to certain time frames.
It may or may not offer directions and there are various methods of inlay, some twisted, something that I have seen on many SEA weapons, I guess more so because that is my main area of interest, some appear only to be finely chiseled with copper, silver or gold leaf is hammered in to the cut outs to fill them, others are done over deep cross hatched Koftgari type applications.

Just a point of interest.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter

I note this as a point of interest only, as there have been discussions about these methods and certain aspects pointing to certain time frames.
It may or may not offer directions and there are various methods of inlay, some twisted, something that I have seen on many SEA weapons, I guess more so because that is my main area of interest, some appear only to be finely chiseled with copper, silver or gold leaf is hammered in to the cut outs to fill them, others are done over deep cross hatched Koftgari type applications.

Gav

This is an excellent observation Gav, and sets me to wondering more on the way these kinds of decorative motif were emplaced. Since it is again, something I know little about, I'll hit the references and see what I can discover.
It seems that inlay of this kind is known from periods much earlier than these gold inlaid swords, and using different kinds of soft metal including copper and silver.
It is interesting to note that similar inlay is done on North African swords, I think only kaskara blades but whether the Saharan blades may have some examples is unclear.

As always, I would like to know more on these markings, and whether applied as simply motif or whether symbolism is imbued. In this case, the ellipse at the foot of the larger arrangement with parallel loops does seem to resemble the fish, of course a Christian symbol along with the cross at the tail.
On the larger grouping the looped figure may represent the bishops crozier (staff) which does occur on many medieval period blades.

These kinds of ecclesiastical symbols seem to occur frequently on medieval blades as often churches were central locations key to them. The practice of using religious symbolism and devotional inscriptions of course carried well through the ages with talismanic applications.

Thanks for adding this observation Gav, and I hope we can learn more on how these were installed in the blades. Its amazing to see goethite encrusted metal with the gold shining brightly through....sure goes to its everlasting durability and easy to see why it is so important symbolically as well..beyond its obvious monetary value.

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 05:17 PM   #5
mrwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
As always, I would like to know more on these markings, and whether applied as simply motif or whether symbolism is imbued. In this case, the ellipse at the foot of the larger arrangement with parallel loops does seem to resemble the fish, of course a Christian symbol along with the cross at the tail.
On the larger grouping the looped figure may represent the bishops crozier (staff) which does occur on many medieval period blades.
I also think the smaller symbol could resemble an
IChThYS, maybe combined with a Peters-cross and
as such a reference to the Pope as Peter's successor.
But on the other hand the ichthys symbols was (if at all)
not wideley in use at that time (Rome could be different).

The larger symbol could resemble a highly stylized Omega - IMHO a good symbol to put on a sword

Regarding the inlay technology: Most common
technique at that time in europe was the hammering
of thin metal wires into encarvings that had a dovetail-cross-section.
The twisted structure that you can see has IMHO nothing to do with the inlay techniqe but with the technique to produce the thin wire. The metal is hammered as thin as possible and then twisted until it has the desired thickness.
Nowadays thin wire is produced by drawing thicker wires through a die of the correct diameter.

Best Regards,
Thilo

Last edited by mrwizard; 28th November 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
mrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Cesare

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter

Gav
Hello Gav
Here is a macro photo of the inlay. Seems to be made with twisted wire
I'll check as soon as possible with a digital microscope

Cesare
Attached Images

Cesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Thilo,
Actually ichthys is the Greek word for fish, which is believed to be an acrostic for the phrase 'Jesus Christ Gods Son Savior', and why it was chosen as a secret symbol used by Christians in early Rome.
While it is unclear if it was used during medieval times widely, it is known that the practice of inlaying symbols, phrases and markings did revive in about the 13th century. Since it is known certain other early Christian symbols were used in varying cases as symbols or elements of them, it does seen plausible that this could be the case here.

Obviously, speculating on such things is often seen by many as either specious or 'fanciful', as I have been told on occasion. I feel it is worthwhile to openly observe and discuss such markings to gain as much knowledge as we can regarding the possible meanings.

Very good suggestion on the 'omega' at the base of the lines from the circle, which may of course be viewed symbolically as ecumenical, much as in the case of the orb and cross (globus cruciger). In this case it seems odd to be bisected, but there again, what would that possibly denote?

As the last letter of the Greek alphabet, the omega is often is perceived as 'the end'.

The V shape as the base of the cross is the forked shape seen on the arms of the crux fourchette, an equal armed cross as the Greek cross, and I believe used in medieval times.

Thank you for being willing to offer these well placed suggestions regarding the markings, and for adding the interesting explanation on the inlay technology.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote