Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Dimasalang

Default Philippine 1st Republic/Katipunan Dagger(mislabeled auction)

Wanted to let this forum know about this auction, but forum rules prohibits posting of active auctions. Sorry guys. Item was sold at a popular auction company that caters primarily to firearms. Im in to WWII firearms as well, so it was a big surprise for me to just stumble across this one on the Rock Island website. The sunface, 3 stars in triangle make it an obvious give away for a 1st Republic/Katipunan dagger.

Sorry to say I didn't win this. They estimated the daggers value of being $2500-4000...so I didn't even try. Wish I could of past this on to another member here(sorry yall) but I just found this auction and didn't catch the deadline, and I been extremely busy taking care of a family emergency. Sad really because this dagger was mislabeled and the item sold for $750. Says it sold "on the floor" and the buyer had to also pay a buyers premium($146), plus taxes and fee...all in all +$1000 out the door. With the estimated price range they gave, I thought that is where they start...I never used Rock Island auction so I didn't even know they start the auctions off at $1. As you can see from the photos, this one is exceptional. The designs are typical, but the ivory handles really sets this dagger apart from all others...rare to see any Filipino(non-Moro) style blade with ivory. I hope to God the buyer knows what he got. It would be extremely sad to know this piece of Philippine history went to a buyer who goes on with the rest of his life thinking it is an early American Masonic dagger from the 1830s.

Very Early Large Masonic American Dagger with Scabbard

Description:The single fuller blade measures 9 1/4" long. Fancy silver hilt with fluted ivory handle. No maker markings. OAL: 13 3/4". Circa 1835 leather sheath with engraved silver throat and tip. The throat is engraved with a masonic emblem: a sun and three stars within a triangle.
Condition: Fine. The blade has some mild spotting and pitting with a few light chips. The ivory handle shows a very even mellow patina and has a couple missing minor chips and some minor handling marks. Scabbard is good with minor flex wear with some flaking.

http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/50/lid/1150
Attached Images

Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

HOW THE CRAP DID I MISS THIS!?!

What a nice piece. Yeah, this would have belonged to a high ranking general or official. NUTS!

At least you got it posted for future reference and research. Salamat!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 07:26 AM   #3
migueldiaz

nice piece. thanks for posting this.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 10:14 PM   #4
carlos

Ahhhh!!! my heart is broken now!! very beatiful dagger, I love this type of dagger with katipunan symbols.
Thanks for posted the pictures.
best regards
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Dimasalang

Sorry guys. I felt I dropped the ball on this one. I had no funds for this to begin with, so I should of passed this along to one of you all. Really kicking myself now! Kind of leaves a bitter taste in my mouth knowing it was sold off as an American piece when it was really something historical and it could of been had by some one from our group and by some one who knows what they have and would truly appreciate it. All we can do now is keep a couple photos for our records.
Old 19th September 2010, 01:15 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, at least we have the records for future research and understanding.........
Old 19th September 2010, 03:40 AM   #7
KuKulzA28

No big deal man, it's just some old dagger
It only has meaning for those who understand it

Perhaps it is a sad thing for it to be "lost", but hey, maybe the winner of that knife will inquire to others about its origins... and a guru will tell him it is NOT Masonic due to the symbols and that man will be referred to another guru, and another guru... until someone points him to the Katipunan... then he may sell it off in disgust or be enthralled by the rich and interesting history of revolutionary Philippines and learn about Bonafacio, Aguinaldo, the Pulajanes, the Moros, etc. and the great struggles and battles and hardships... and he may come to treasure that blade and be just one more person who has a keen interest and appreciation for Filipino history, martial craft, and perhaps old stuff in general.

just being positive
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:57 AM   #8
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
No big deal man, it's just some old dagger
It only has meaning for those who understand it

Perhaps it is a sad thing for it to be "lost", but hey, maybe the winner of that knife will inquire to others about its origins... and a guru will tell him it is NOT Masonic due to the symbols and that man will be referred to another guru, and another guru... until someone points him to the Katipunan... then he may sell it off in disgust or be enthralled by the rich and interesting history of revolutionary Philippines and learn about Bonafacio, Aguinaldo, the Pulajanes, the Moros, etc. and the great struggles and battles and hardships... and he may come to treasure that blade and be just one more person who has a keen interest and appreciation for Filipino history, martial craft, and perhaps old stuff in general.

just being positive
Thanks man..I kinda needed that. I've been a bit negative these days...and I've been telling myself to change my attitude and make myself think more positive. I figure I'll be a more positive happier person that way. Youre right, maybe that person will do more research and find out its real true history...and maybe make him realize the beauty of Philippine culture.
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:09 AM   #9
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Thanks man..I kinda needed that. I've been a bit negative these days...and I've been telling myself to change my attitude and make myself think more positive. I figure I'll be a more positive happier person that way. Youre right, maybe that person will do more research and find out its real true history...and maybe make him realize the beauty of Philippine culture.
No problem. I have been a largely negative person for about 18 years... its only the last 2 years I've balanced out a bit. I got a little WW2 tourist talibon knife long ago... it was sold as something else. But even though they are poor examples of the true beauty of Filipino martial crafts and weapons, it sparked an interest in those islands' peoples, cultures, and warfare that continues now.

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Kukula28, you have a good point. I started researching weapons after I got them. I now research before, but especially after I get an item - more inspired.