Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th August 2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default Samoa? Tonga? Clubs.

I just "unearthed" these from among some stuff I have packed away for an ongoing move. I obtained the lighter colored, older one about twenty years ago from an estate sale, the darker one was picked up in either Tennessee or Kentucky a few years after the first one.

My thoughts are that the lighter one is possibly 19th century due to its somewhat primitive workmanship and patina. Both have surfaces that were finely carved in a manner that some Fijian clubs were, which were referred to as "houndstooth" by a dealer years ago.

The darker, heavier one appears to possibly be mid 20th century, but I could be wrong about that.

My attribution of Samoa or Tonga is tentative based on studying auction and dealer catalogs, as well as the venerable Oldman catalog, but I'm sure that there are errors in these old sources, and new discoveries that may update what I believe I know.
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Shakethetrees

I posted this in the wrong place yesterday.
Old 6th August 2014, 01:35 AM   #3
M ELEY

Very nice clubs with rich patina. Not my area of expertise, but I used to own one exactly like these and according to Edge-Partington's Ethnographic guide, they are from Malaita in the Solomans. Mine had an old museum acquision number on it. I had to sell it to pay bills- . I miss it very much.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 05:55 AM   #4
Shakethetrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Very nice clubs with rich patina. Not my area of expertise, but I used to own one exactly like these and according to Edge-Partington's Ethnographic guide, they are from Malaita in the Solomans. Mine had an old museum acquision number on it. I had to sell it to pay bills- . I miss it very much.

Thanks for the information.

Which type did you have the pointed "pommel" type, or the squared off type?

I suspect they, or at least the darker of the two, we're bring-backs from the WWII era.

The nature of the surface and it's patina I feel makes the lighter of the two older.
Old 7th August 2014, 08:10 AM   #5
M ELEY

Mine looked like yours on top, but it had an interesting half-circle shape to the end of the haft. I think you are right concerning which of the two examples are older. The Malaitans, BTW, were quite ferocious headhunters even as recently as the early 20th c. I seem to recall a trial of manhood whereby a youth wasn't considered a true warrior until he took his first head. Tufts of hair from said fallen victems were used to decorate their items. Scary stuff...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 12:17 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THESE SMALL CLUBS ARE THE ONES MOST OFTEN SEEN AND MANY WERE BROUGHT BACK BY SERVICEMAN IN WW2. THEY ARE MOST CLOSELY RELATED TO A FORM OF PADDLE CLUB BUT MOST ARE SMALLER LIGHTER FORMS 2 FOOT OR LESS. THEY ARE MORE OF A CLOSE IN TYPE WEAPON AND CAN BE USED TO CLUB BUT ALSO MORE EFFECTIVELY FOR THRUSTING. MANY ARE NOT CARVED, SOME HAVE A SPIKED END ON THE HANDLE BUT MOST DO NOT. THE KITE OR DIAMOND SHAPED HEAD IS THE MOST COMMON BUT NOT THE ONLY FORM.
THE DIFFICULTY OF IDENTIFYING WHERE THEY COME FROM ARISES AS THE FORM IS LIKELY WIDESPREAD THRU-OUT THE SOUTH PACIFIC AND THE TROOPS WERE IN MANY DIFFERENT GROUPS DURING WW2. MOST ARE ATTRIBUTED TO THE SOLOMON ISLANDS BUT WITHOUT THE MOTHER OF PEARL INLAY IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO SAY FOR SURE. THE HOUNDSTOOTH DESIGN IS WIDESPREAD TOO, FIJI USUALLY LIKES THE LARGER HEAD CRUSHER AND BONE BREAKER FORM OF CLUB AS WELL AS SMALLER.THROWING CLUBS. I WOULD ELIMINATE FIJI AND TONGA AS THE SOURCE OF THESE CLUBS EVEN THOUGH THERE MAY BE DESIGN INFLUENCES FROM THESE AREAS. TWO NICE EXAMPLES OF THE FORM AND THE CARVING ON THE DARK ONE IS NICELY DONE. SO WW2 OR OLDER SOLOMON ISLANDS IS A GOOD GUESS UNTIL SOMETHING MORE SPECIFIC IS KNOWN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 04:31 AM   #7
Shakethetrees

Default New acquisition today!

I've added this to one of my earliest posts.

The wood is well weathered, dark, very dense and heavy. The surface appears to have been worn and weathered heavily. The "cross bar" has a chevron like pattern incised into it. There is no hint of any sanding or modern "improvement", all very consistent with age and weathering.

It was found in an estate sale. I bought it from the picker, someone I've known for many years and know well.
Attached Images

Old 18th August 2015, 06:58 PM   #8
fireiceviper

The first one is a late Solomon island one (ww2 probably) like said before, the carving on the edge is almost exactly how the pearl shell inlaid would have been.

The 2nd one has the zigzag motive typical of Fiji, the shape the placing and the center carving are all very non typical. Perhaps a Fijian carver selling wares in the Solomons? but also looks late

The last one looks even more modern... but i can't see any typical form or carving style in it..

The small clubs are very hard to pinpoint, there have been a number popping up and most seem to have elements of a lot of different island groups ( i also own one such club). But almost all are on the late side..
fireiceviper is offline   Reply With Quote