Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Evgeny_K

Question Strange axe/hatchet

Gents,
I'll be very appreciate for your any thoughts about origin of this axe/hatchet.
It was found at the War of 1812 battlefield in Russia, near of a several musket balls. It looks like hatchet for civil use for me. Am I right?
Attached Images

Evgeny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE NO INFORMATION ABOUT THE AX BUT THOSE WHO DO WILL NEED MORE INFORMATION. SIZE, HOW IT IS SHAFTED , FROM THE ONE PICTURE IT RAISES MORE QUESTIONS THAN IT GIVES ANSWERS TO THOSE WHO CAN HELP YOU. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Evgeny_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I HAVE NO INFORMATION ABOUT THE AX BUT THOSE WHO DO WILL NEED MORE INFORMATION. SIZE, HOW IT IS SHAFTED , FROM THE ONE PICTURE IT RAISES MORE QUESTIONS THAN IT GIVES ANSWERS TO THOSE WHO CAN HELP YOU. GOOD LUCK
you're right, I'll make a better pics in short
Old 6th June 2013, 03:00 AM   #4
M ELEY

The blunt end resembles a hammer, which is either a good thing or a bad thing! My point being, there were hammer pole axes from the colonial periods, ca. 1780's up to the modern era. The French fur trade axes and rifleman's axes ca 1790-1850 come to mind. The problem is that this ax form (hammer end) could date all the way up to the 1930's. More pics, lenth, pic of the 'eye', all might help. Bearded axes (ones with curved edges) typically dated earlier and flat edged blades such as this one would typically date post-1800 up to the 20th c. Typically, early hammer type pole axes didn't have the 'mushroom' type seen on this axe, which was more of a mid-19th and later afectation.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Dmitry

It's a pipe tomahawk. Which supports my theory that a tribe of Comanche Indians was fighting with Napoleon against the Russians.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 04:20 PM   #6
broadaxe

It appears to be a 20th century Russian domestic meat axe. Check the place where the blade gets suddenly thick - it was common to make those from two separate pieces: flat blade inserted into a turned steel body via a slot and riveted in place. I believe such axes are still being made in small workshops, they were also quite popular as 'gulag work', highly embellished.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Evgeny_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
It appears to be a 20th century Russian domestic meat axe. Check the place where the blade gets suddenly thick - it was common to make those from two separate pieces: flat blade inserted into a turned steel body via a slot and riveted in place. I believe such axes are still being made in small workshops, they were also quite popular as 'gulag work', highly embellished.
I am agree - it looks like meat axe
Old 7th June 2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Evgeny_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
It's a pipe tomahawk. Which supports my theory that a tribe of Comanche Indians was fighting with Napoleon against the Russians.
nice joke, Dmitry
Old 8th June 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
M ELEY

Yes, Dmitry,very amusing! Everyone knows it was really the Apache that rode with Napolean...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote