Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 16th January 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
BluErf

Default Dress keris and badek from Terengganu

I was very happy to acquire this matching pair, which I believe to be dated to the first half of the 20th century. They're really small - the keris is 13 inches overall, 9.3 inch blade; the badek is 8.6 inches overall, 5.5 inch blade. Small guys, but they cost me nearly an arm and a leg.

They're just perfect for wearing, which is what I would do for the coming Muharram.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 02:03 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Very nice Kai Wee. I have a keris with very similar dress (it doesn't have the black bands) which i always assumed was also early 20thC, so your dating helps support that, thanks.
Do you think these two were actually made as a pair or they just happen to match. The one difference i do notice right away is that the badek lacks the black bands (horn?ebony?) that are present at the top of the gandar on the keris. They look good together regardless.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Thumbs up

Congrats on these well-made pieces. Lovely elegant fittings. Goes well with any collection. They do look perfect for wearing. Are you carrying the side arm, this Muharram?
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 03:04 PM   #4
BluErf

Hi David,

The seller had these 2 pieces on sale at the same time. Both were Terengganu, and from the same period. While I think they were not made at the exact same time, they were probably owned by the same person, who probably had worn them as a pair. The black bands are horn. Apart from Terengganu, Sumatra also had keris sheaths of similar aesthetics. I have a keris panjang with such alternating black and white batang, and that keris was probably 19th century.

Hi Shahrial,

Yep, I'm going to be in black. Makes the white stand out.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote