Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th September 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Royston

Default LONG THIN SPEAR FOR I.D

A recent local buy. In fact I got 2 of them almost identical to each other.

As you can see they resemble Masai in construction but are much more slender. The shaft of the one in the photos is, I think, a replacement. The other one is original.
The blade guard is raw hide and very stiff. ( The only reason I photographed this one is that I cannot get the guard off the other, it is currently soaking in leather oil )

They are approximately 8 1/2 feet long when assembled !!
So, can anyone identify them for me please ?

Thanks
Roy
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
KuKulzA28

Uneducated guess... samburu?
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Iain

I've seen these referred to as Maasai elders' spears. I don't have a good reference, but if I recall correctly they are apparently intended for cattle guarding duty, rather than the lion spears, which are reserved for the hunt.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Your example looks to have some age, although the forging quality is a bit rougher than what I would expect in a 19th century example. I seem to recall that in Maasai pieces a decline in quality is often attributed to the British ban on blades in the 1930s (although to be 100% honest I'm not sure if the ban was on semes or spears as well).

Best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up I'll confirm that...

Per Spring (1993), this is a spear of the type carried by Maasai elders. An example measuring 200 cm in overall length is pictured on p. 112. (Your example is much nicer than my own.)
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 07:20 PM   #5
katana

I think they may be Turkana.....

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a fascinating scabbard (?).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 10:16 PM   #7
asomotif

Quote:
What a fascinating scabbard
Not uncommon on this type of spears.
I saw a similar one for sale a a belgian trader/collector who collected it in east africa. Can't remember the exact tribe, but i am quite sure that he did not attribute it to Zulu tribe.

Nice picture by the way of the running warrior.
Nice shield with the ostrich feathers.

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 11:24 AM   #8
broadaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Uneducated guess... samburu?
I think so, too. Saw them being carried by Samburu clansmen when I was in Kenya, 1981.

BTW, Cold Steel firm makes a nice modern replica

Last edited by David; 18th September 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: No commercial links please!
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 04:38 PM   #9
katana

Although these spears could be Samburu, I still believe Turkana is more likely (the similarity is due to the fact these are neighbouring tribes, as they are also with the Masai) It is the blade cover that convinces me of that

Below are two links.....hover your cursor over the picture to magnify......notice the blade cover

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...F%208245%20ABC

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...F%208248%20ABC

The Samburu version tends to have a narrower blade....

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...F%206180%20ABC

Regards David
Old 18th September 2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Just a simple thing really, but I like these hammer marks. Clearly intentional and how they like subtle decoration that fits the form so well.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 05:49 PM   #11
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Although these spears could be Samburu, I still believe Turkana is more likely (the similarity is due to the fact these are neighbouring tribes, as they are also with the Masai) It is the blade cover that convinces me of that

Below are two links.....hover your cursor over the picture to magnify......notice the blade cover

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...F%208245%20ABC

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...F%208248%20ABC

The Samburu version tends to have a narrower blade....

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...F%206180%20ABC

Regards David

Thanks for the info... I was hoping I'd be close... my knowledge of African weaponry is lacking. Guess I can't be blamed for mixing up Masai, Turkana, and Samburur spears as an amateur...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 06:52 PM   #12
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THIS IS THE SPEAR I SAW MOST COMMONLY CARRIED BY THE MASAI IN TANZANIA. THE LION SPEAR IS NOT COMMONLY CARRIED AND IS MORE EXPENSIVE SO THIS IS THE ONE MOST COMMONLY FOUND AMONG THE MASAI. THE LEATHER COVER IS ALSO TYPICAL OF THE ONES CARRIED BY THE MASAI THERE , MY EXAMPLES ARE THE SAME BUT HAVE A LITTLE BEAD DECORATION. THE BEADS MAY HAVE BEEN PUT THERE TO MAKE THEM MORE ATTRACTIVE TO TOURISTS OR JUST LOCAL DECORATION EITHER WAY THE ONES SOLD TO TOURISTS WERE THE SAME QUALITY AS THOSE ACTUALLY IN USE. THERE ARE LIKELY MANY TRIBES WHO CARRY SIMULAR SPEARS SO MOST LIKELY ALL IDENTIFICATIONS SO FAR HAVE BEEN ACCURATE. THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE WHICH TRIBE WOULD BE ,BUYING IT ON SITE YOURSELF OR HAVING GOOD ACCURATE PROVENANCE. LOOKS TO BE A NICE OLDER EXAMPLE CONGRADULATIONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Ron Anderson

Hi Vandoo

My knowledge on this area is also hardly comprehensive, but I think Turkano may be right. The 'scabbard' is exactly like those found on Turkano wrist knives. It is made of cowhide, is it? Having said that, I used to see this spear and the 'lionkiller' spear frequently in Johannesburg flea markets, identified as 'masai'. However, I never once saw them with the thong scabbard.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 04:16 PM   #14
katana

Just to add to this thread. I recently acquired a similar spear that originated from Kenya. The seller, had lived in Kenya for some years (during the '60's) and had actually been hunting (spears) with some of the local tribes. It seems that many tribes in the area obtain weapons from several 'blacksmiths' scattered in the region, so ID'ing spears to a specific tribe is impossible.

This probably helps to explain why these and the 'lion' spears are common to the area.....rather than a specific tribe. The 'slight' differences between 'identical' spears being the blacksmith's manufacturing rather than tribal variation.

Regards David