Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Inlaid Moro Kris

An eBay purchase. Seller says he found this in his attic when renovating a house that was built in the 1800s.

When I got it, the blade had a heavy coat of yellowish shellac, the handle was loose and the grip windings had come apart. I temporarily taped the winding so they would not further come apart.

I was of a very mixed mind, and still am, about how much cleaning I should do. It seems original, so should I leave it at that -- untouched?

However, I have begun and taken it as far as I currently feel like going.

I like the inlay and it is some of the best I have seen on a Moro blade. I am getting it tested to see if it is a gold alloy. As I clean away the shellac residue, the more it looks like gold.

The handle is more plain than a sword like this should have, but I think it is original.

Your comments appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 25th September 2006 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Bill, beautiful piece. The blade is definitely a datu piece with all of the silver. The grip I do question, although it is possibley that it is original with all of the fittings sold off. Thank you for sharing. I'll be the baka-baka was okired silver as well. Oh yeah, one other note, the hilt is on backwards.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Bill, beautiful piece. The blade is definitely a datu piece with all of the silver. The grip I do question, although it is possibley that it is original with all of the fittings sold off. Thank you for sharing. I'll bet the baka-baka was okired silver as well. Oh yeah, one other note, the hilt is on backwards.
Oops about the hilt. Just stuck it on for the pictures. Will reverse it. Was in a hurry.

BTW the light makes it look like silver, but the inlays are all a golden color.

The baca-baca that came with it is steel and has been here since the hilt was installed. Either the original owner fell on hard times and rehilted it a very long time ago, or he put all his money into getting the blade like he wanted it.

I like to think it was the last. As I understand it, these datu level pieces were very tailored to the customer from a smorgasboard of parts that then would be crafted into the finished piece.

Sometimes a customer could only afford some super high quality pieces. If it were up to me, I'd put my bucks in the blade.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 25th September 2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spellig [sic]
Old 25th September 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Great that the blade was coated; saves you a lot of work Bill; but that's no guarantee the blade wasn't polished to another's taste before it was treated .

I have a really hard time believing the hilt is original though .

Did this piece come out of an American collection ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 07:04 PM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Great that the blade was coated; saves you a lot of work Bill; but that's no guarantee the blade wasn't polished to another's taste before it was treated .

I have a really hard time believing the hilt is original though .
You could be very right. It was loose, but took a bit of pulling to get it off. The graddoo (technical term) under it LOOKED very old, but I know better than to really trust this. The handle sure looks low end for the blade.

Quote:
Did this piece come out of an American collection ?
All I know is that the seller (who knows absolutely nothing about kris) said that he found it in a house he was renovating (forgot to mention that the house is in Tennesse, I think) and that said house was built in the 1890s. Could have been there a long time, or put there before he bought the house last year.

I just saw it on eBay and had a feeling "BUY THIS KRIS" and so I bid high. It was about $1100 and that is ok with me, should have been cheaper but a newbie bidder raised the final price about $400. I should have gotten it for about $700, but that's life.

I am very glad that I did get it. I really love the inlay. It is also a big brutish thing that would do some serious damage to an enemy.

eBay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

EAA link
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2851
Old 25th September 2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Found In An Old House

Hi Bill, I'll bet this is a Moro Wars bringback .
Are the inlays in the sogokan and pecetan cut panels/sheets fitted in ?
Old 25th September 2006, 09:52 PM   #7
mross

Bill,
Very nice, you have an excellent eye. I can see what you were saying about the inlays. I have to agree, the handle looks out-of-place. As I understand the Moro's, the handle and scabbard where the outward signs of rank. Many of the pictures in Cato's book bear that out. Which is why I was hoping the other thread with the inlay discussion would have went somewhere. The inlays and the twisted core blades seem to throw some cold water on the handle and scabbard being the signifiers of rank. Obviously some Moro's did go all out on the blades. It seems the inlay and twisted core would be a intresting area of study.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 11:44 PM   #8
kai

Thumbs up

Quote:
I like the inlay and it is some of the best I have seen on a Moro blade.
Congrats, Bill, that's really a nice kris!

Does anyone recognize that special inlay motif with the 3 streaks?
I got a Datu blade of Maranao origin with the same motif (shown below) and would love to know their meaning!

Quote:
I am getting it tested to see if it is a gold alloy. As I clean away the shellac residue, the more it looks like gold.
Please let us know what it turns out to be. To me it does look a bit weird for coin silver; however, Battara has much more experience and stained silver can look quite golden (e.g. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1243)...

Quote:
The handle is more plain than a sword like this should have, but I think it is original.
The kris shown below also came with an understated hilt which I believe to be a probable replacement.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 07:56 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Kai, thank you...you are very kind.

Bill, I think it is possible that the steel clamp and hilt are a later replacement as a set. They may have been sold off when hard times hit. The blade would be where the soul of the piece resided and so that would be more important to keep.

Perhaps my avatar kris hilt was the original hilt.
Old 26th September 2006, 09:09 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Kai, the greneng on your sword look very Indonesian .
Old 26th September 2006, 10:38 PM   #11
kai

Quote:
Kai, the greneng on your sword look very Indonesian .
Yes, this "back to the roots" style is probably one of the reasons why I like this blade so much; actually, all the scroll work is of high quality IMHO. However, I'm confident that it really is Maranao: 1. the inlay and also the scroll work seems very Moro to me; 2. it's a 17 luk blade (something unlikely to see from a Malayan blacksmith AFAIK); 3. origin.

Let's focus on Bill's kris though - I just wanted to highlight the traditional inlay motif. I'll post more pics of my kris in a separate thread as time permits...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 12:41 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually Kai, I would place your kris as Tausug. If it were Maranao, I would expect a different front of the kris and okired baka-baka. STill beautiful.

And so is Bill's. Bill, let us know what the tests say.
Old 27th September 2006, 04:36 PM   #13
Bill M

Quote:
Hi Bill, I'll bet this is a Moro Wars bringback .
Are the inlays in the sogokan and pecetan cut panels/sheets fitted in ?

Yes, appear to be.

Really look like gold, but it may just be wishful thinking on my part!

Need to take it to a jeweler and have him test the gold-colored material.
Old 27th September 2006, 04:57 PM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Please do Bill !

You know Battara has a great cherry burl that I sent him; I'll bet he could carve you a nice pommel out of a chunk .

Or has it been turned into a keris stand Jose ?
Old 27th September 2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well.....I'm looking at a keris stand for my Balinese kris and Balinese silvered ceremonial axe.

I can still make a scabbard with silver okired bands, burled wood, etc......