Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th May 2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Dominique

Default Help identify Klewang

Can anybody help me identify this Klewang? I have not seen anything similar in Zonneveld book or any other books?
Thanks

Last edited by Dominique; 7th May 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Athanase

I don't know, but the sickle shape and the handle made me think of Java.
But, to have it in my hands, the polishing of the blade also reminded me of Bali.
In any case I am very glad you asked the question on the forum, because I would have liked to win it.... (But at least I'm glad it's in collection of a member of the forum).
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Dominique

Athanase, were you at the auction?
Old 7th May 2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Athanase

On internet (at work ).
At this auction there was far too much competition for me, I didn't have anything.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Gustav

Quite interesting.

In van Zonneveld's book there is a somewhat similar blade depicted and named as "Kudi Tranchang" from Bali on page 76. Regarding the name, please read the post #21 here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=tranchang

I agree, that the blade has a strong Balinese flavor, yet the handle absolutely not. They look nice together, yet the combination is in some way cross-cultural. Similar handles we could find on Sulawesi, Java and Sumatra, perhaps even Malay Peninsula.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Dominique

I agree Gustav the pamor looks Balinese, and the blade shape does look similar to Zonneveld kudi, however the Zonneveled item is a balinese ceremonial axe with a much wider blade.
The hilt shape reminds me of the Aceh Co Jang, and interestingly the back of the blades have similar chiseling close to the hilt.
Attached Images

Old 9th May 2017, 03:37 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Can someone tell me why this is a klewang?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 01:09 PM   #8
Gustav

It isn't mainly the Pamor, which allows to think of Bali as the very possible origin of the blade.

As I wrote, such overall shape of handle is found in many places in SEAsia. Important - it's faceted, and such feature is more likely distinctive for Sulawesi and West Java. Yet I don't think it's the appropriate handle for this blade.
Old 10th May 2017, 01:49 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Still wondering why we are calling this a klewang. It doesn't look like any form of klewang i am familiar with.
Old 10th May 2017, 01:55 PM   #10
kai

Wink

Hello David,

It is not a klewang as the name is understood on Java nor, obviously, the Dutch-Indo military klewang.

In most other regions the name klewang (including spelling variants) is utilized in a much wider sense (and even contradicting the Javanese definition), usually for somewhat tip-heavy blades.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 03:02 PM   #11
kai

Hello Dominique,

What are the total and blade length of your piece?

Quote:
The hilt shape reminds me of the Aceh Co Jang, and interestingly the back of the blades have similar chiseling close to the hilt.
Incidentally, there is the gliwang=k(e)lewang pucok meukawet from the greater Aceh region characterised by a blade with strongly down-curving tip; however, this is a long blade for fighting only. From the same area hails the sadeueb (basically a billhook with a long, round hilt of approx. same length as the blade); this is obviously a tool that can double as a weapon if needed. Despite a roughly similar outline, these Aceh blades are quite different in detail as well as in the iron/steel utilized.

I'd also argue that the similarity of the hilt of your piece and the hulu tapa guda from northern Sumatra is spurious: It has the same function to keep the hand from slipping off the hilt; however, your piece does not show any stylistic key features that would indicate an origin from the greater Aceh region.

Also the chiseling at the base of the blade is quite distinct: In your blade the base of the back of the blade has a protrusion which seems to correspond with the possible Garuda head/beak as found on most tiuk pengentas from Bali; also the decoration at the vertical base of the blade is typical Bali work as is the pamor.

Regards,
Kai
Old 10th May 2017, 03:37 PM   #12
kai

Hello Gustav,

I also believe this is a variant (with slightly more curved tip) of the blade published by Paravicini (1923; reproduced in AvZ, Fig. 295) which also belongs to the pengentas family of blades from Bali. IMVHO it is likely to also have been utilized in the funeral rites.

Quote:
As I wrote, such overall shape of handle is found in many places in SEAsia. Important - it's faceted, and such feature is more likely distinctive for Sulawesi and West Java.
Faceted hilts are really rare (except for the quite different Sundanese gobang hilts). I'd love to see a close contender from anywhere in the archipelago!

Quote:
Yet I don't think it's the appropriate handle for this blade.
Dominique, are there any signs that this blade has been rehilted?

We know that there is a variety of hilts (and blades) associated with the tiuk/blakas pengentas family of blades. Since this blade lends itself to hacking and possibly also pulling action, I reckon that a hilt which avoids slipping may help. Thus, it might be the function leading to an unusual hilt: Barring any new evidence to the contrary, I'd be inclined to believe that this hilt originated from Bali (or Lombok), too.

Regards,
Kai
Old 10th May 2017, 07:44 PM   #13
asomotif

The construction of the ferrule gives me the impression that the ferrule is more recent than the handle and surely more recent than the blade.

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 09:01 PM   #14
Gustav

Hello Kai,

a somewhat similar handle is depicted in AvZ, page 89, as Matana knife.
Old 10th May 2017, 09:20 PM   #15
Gustav

I had the same impression as Willem.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:06 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello David,

It is not a klewang as the name is understood on Java nor, obviously, the Dutch-Indo military klewang.

In most other regions the name klewang (including spelling variants) is utilized in a much wider sense (and even contradicting the Javanese definition), usually for somewhat tip-heavy blades.

Regards,
Kai
Thanks for the explanation Kai. Such blades are somewhat outside my field of study so i am simply trying to determine if calling this blade a klewang is a bit of a misnomer. This doesn't seem to be a tip-heavy blade and it certainly isn't a Javanese klewang nor the Dutch-Indo military type, so i am trying to figure out if we could be calling it a klewang at all, but if everyone else is fine with that description who am i to argue.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:07 PM   #17
A. G. Maisey

The problem with the word "klewang, kelewang" is that it has a different meaning for collectors, especially collectors outside the area of origin of the klewang, than for native speakers of Malay, Bahasa Indonesia and Javanese.

In all three of these languages a klewang is defined as a sword, and in BI and Javanese it must be broad and curved. According to Wilkinson it was very much favoured by the people from Aceh.

But my understanding of the way in which collectors use the word is that it can be tagged onto just about any short, heavy tool/weapon used for chopping.

In respect of the item under discussion here, it is probably correctly termed "madhik". This is a very ancient Balinese tool/weapon:-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21896
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 11:48 PM   #18
Gustav

Now there is another a little bit mysterious Bali-Sulawesi specimen, with similar handle -

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=187966

Blade looks Balinese, sheath - Sulawesi. Handle isn't really faceted, but close.

Now has somebody a "Matana knife" in he's collection?

.................................................. .............

What leads me to think the handle (of our "Mardhik") isn't original is the way blade is mounted to it - at the very upper part; the handle looks to big.

Or has somebody seen such handles on Bali? That would make things easier.
Attached Images

Old 11th May 2017, 01:48 AM   #19
A. G. Maisey

Actually Gustav, to me, the entire thing looks Javanese, the hilt, the hand work, the pamor and especially the kembang kacang --- something I've only ever seen on things other than keris in a Javanese context.

I only know of the mardhik as a tool now, but it is obvious that it had a weapon function in old Bali.

If I had to make a guess on geographic point of origin, I'd probably give it as "possibly East Jawa". It would be a guess.

I tend to agree that the hilt is an addition, I doubt very much that it is original to this blade.
Old 11th May 2017, 02:14 AM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The problem with the word "klewang, kelewang" is that it has a different meaning for collectors, especially collectors outside the area of origin of the klewang, than for native speakers of Malay, Bahasa Indonesia and Javanese.

In all three of these languages a klewang is defined as a sword, and in BI and Javanese it must be broad and curved. According to Wilkinson it was very much favoured by the people from Aceh.

But my understanding of the way in which collectors use the word is that it can be tagged onto just about any short, heavy tool/weapon used for chopping.

In respect of the item under discussion here, it is probably correctly termed "madhik". This is a very ancient Balinese tool/weapon:-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21896
Thanks Alan. That is very helpful information.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:02 AM   #21
Gustav

Alan, regarding KK I agree. On other hand, till now I never have seen such a groove on something Wedhung-like outside of Bali.

Another place, which comes into mind seeing such anomalies, is Lombok (which Kai mentioned). On page 339 in "Keris di Lombok" there are pictures of spearheads of similar bent shape, one, perhaps two of them (the picture quality is terrible) most likely with back groove. On page before a Golok, which isn't bent, yet otherwise has perhaps the closest blade shape, with back groove too.

This object in question so obviously doesn't fit in any parameters, that it almost seems to be made to rise curiosity (and perhaps its price).
Old 12th May 2017, 06:10 AM   #22
Dominique

Hi,
Thank you for your inputs.
The blade length is 46cm, the hilth is 18cm. The blade is very sharp and sturdy.
It does not seem to be recently refitted and the ferrule fits well the blade and the hilt. The hilt has 7 facets.
There is a number (990) on the top of the hilt, which looks like an inventory number. I assume it was part of an old collection.
The are similarities with the "Batek" page 339 of Keris di Lombok.
Dominique
Old 12th May 2017, 07:32 AM   #23
A. G. Maisey

The groove is a pretty common feature Gustav, we can find it on all sorts of edged implements in both Jawa and Bali, as well as other places.

Incidentally, I'm not pushing the barrow for Jawa origin with this thing, I'm just relating what I've seen. I've never seen one of these things in Jawa, I have in Bali, but the overall impression I get of it is Jawa.

Gustav, the P339 pic in Keris Lombok is of something that in Bali is called a "blakas pengentas", essentially it is a tool, but these days it tends to get used more in cremation ceremonies. Different people use different names for all these curved implements, sometimes it will be a blakas, sometimes a pengentas, sometimes a mardhik, sometimes a caluk, sometimes a blakas whatever, whatever, whatever. All these primarily agricultural implements were used as weapons and had special weapon versions. Same as in Jawa.

The pic on P.338 is actually something that most people would call a pedang, but the name here is given as "berang" or "golok" . In fact, it cannot be either, because it is simply not heavy enough and the form is certainly not anything like the Javanese berang which is a type of wedung with a short, heavy, chopping blade.

The desire of collectors to stick names on things is not limited to collectors in the western world. Lalu Djelengga did live in Lombok, but he was primarily a collector.

The simple fact of the matter is this:- we are dealing with a society that uses a non-standard language. Things vary. Names of things vary. It is a language designed for verbal communication, not written communication, the important thing is that the person you are speaking with understands you. This is a bit hard to accept for people who base their communication on writing and refer to dictionaries and thesauruses.

What I've seen happen when it comes to naming an object is that the name will change depending upon how it is being used right at that moment, for example, take a large kitchen knife, when it is being used to slice meat or vegetables in the kitchen it will be a "pisau" (piso), when it is taken outside the house to prune a prickly bush it will be a "golok".

As far as I'm concerned, the name for this implement under discussion is "mardhik". I do not know with certainty its geographic point of origin, but since it displays what I understand to be both Javanese and Balinese indicators, I am inclined to place it as either East Jawa or West Bali.
Old 14th May 2017, 08:35 AM   #24
Dominique

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I'm not pushing the barrow for Jawa origin with this thing, I'm just relating what I've seen. I've never seen one of these things in Jawa, I have in Bali, but the overall impression I get of it is Jawa...I am inclined to place it as either East Jawa or West Bali.
Thank you Alan, for your explanations. This "mardhik" to call it by your suggested name, was sold at an auction with several old keris from East and North Jawa, and a couple from Bali, which would tend to confirm your inclination towards Jawa.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:20 AM   #25
A. G. Maisey

Things move around Dominique. Indonesia now is not like it was 200 years ago, there has been easy movement between all places for a long time. I reckon just about anything that was acquired on the ground in Indonesia during the last, say, 150 years could have originated anywhere.

I don't favour either Bali or Jawa for this mardhik, the workmanship looks Javanese --- well to me it does --- but I've only ever seen this type of thing in Bali. Toss a coin.
Old 24th May 2017, 01:09 AM   #26
DaveA

Default Hilt | Hulu Tapa Guda

A fascinating piece! Thank you for posting.

I believe the hilt is a variant of Hulu Tapa Guda (also Hulu Tapa Gudo, Oelee Tapa Göda, Oeloe Tapa Koedo, Soekol Tapa Koedo, Sukul Tapa Kuedo). This hilt is designed to resemble a horse's hoof on the pommel. This version is usually simply designed and slightly bent towards the blade edge side. It is found mostly on Rudus, and the Co Jang.

It is a risk to stretch analogies too far, but the gross characteristic of a recurred edge leading to a hook reminds me of the parang beng kok as identified first by Gardner (plate 58) and then picked up by Van Zonneveld (page 98). (These IDs have been disputed in the forum.). The point I wish to make is that it looks like a working blade for cutting and clearing cane or similar crop -- the hooked end provides an easy way to capture and throw cut cane aside.

Best,

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 09:16 PM   #27
Dominique

Default Kudi Tranchang

In Czerny's last auction catalog item 31, listed as a Kudi Tranchang from Bali, is very similar to mine, except for the hilt.
As for the hilt, the following picture from asomotif in older thread about Bali Pengantas, shows a similar faceted hilt and ferrule.
Attached Images