Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Aqtai

Talking My first talwar!

I bought this sword from eBay and it arrived this morning. It is the first ever antique weapon I have bought. According to the caption it is a 19th century Indian talwar. I have taken some rather rushed photos, and I would be grateful for your opinions on the genuineness of this item.

I would also be grateful for any advice on how to clean, care for and store this item, as I have absolutely no idea!
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

It looks genuine to me, if a little green. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Aqtai

I think that's my camera. The colours look quite different in real life to the way it looks on the computer screen. If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll take some photos in natural light.
Old 6th September 2005, 09:58 PM   #4
B.I

nothing worng with that.
i still own my first tulwar (partly sentimental, and partly because its worth the same today, as i paid for it many years ago :-)
well done aqtai, and welcome to the 'collecting' fraternity, may the bug bite strong.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 10:10 PM   #5
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I
well done aqtai, and welcome to the 'collecting' fraternity, may the bug bite strong.
Oh no! B.I., you put the kiss of death on him. Now all is relationships are doomed to fail!
Aqtai, if you shot these under a florescent light that is why they are green. If you are shooting digitally you should be able to change your white balance to match the light source.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Aqtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Oh no! B.I., you put the kiss of death on him. Now all is relationships are doomed to fail!
Aqtai, if you shot these under a florescent light that is why they are green. If you are shooting digitally you should be able to change your white balance to match the light source.
The photos were shot under my fluorescent desk lamp, the flash on the camera also went off.

I'll will have to be a slow collector though, my other half does not approve of spending money on "bits of rusty old metal".
Old 6th September 2005, 10:42 PM   #7
RhysMichael

I have to agree that it looks genuine to me. Are there any armory marks on it, many times there are. I recall at a seminar the handle guard can have significance as to where in india it comes from. I will try to dig out my notes but someone here will probably know better than I do. Congrats on a good first sword. As to the picture, indirect natural light is usually good
Here is an article I found useful on photographing swords

http://swordforum.com/sfu/photography/poolside.html
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 12:48 AM   #8
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqtai
The photos were shot under my fluorescent desk lamp, the flash on the camera also went off.
I'll will have to be a slow collector though, my other half does not approve of spending money on "bits of rusty old metal".
They never do, my friend, they never do.
The fluorescent light is what's effecting your color. Turn it off and try again.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 02:28 AM   #9
ariel

OK, buddy, you have been bitten and there is no cure: from now on you shall measure the price of everything ( gas, mortgage, restaurants, clothes, girlfriends....) in "Tulwar units".
As for this one, I am puzzled by the handle: it is not Punjabi or Sikh (symmetrical sharp swelling in the middle) or Delhi ( very rounded and also symmetrical). This one is narrow at the top and is quite thick at the bottom.
Where is it from?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 04:12 AM   #10
Andrew

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqtai

The others are correct, Aqtai: you're doomed. Now you need to try and get her hooked on the hunt for that sleeper that will allow you to turn a "profit" on your "investment".
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Aqtai

Here are some photos taken today in natural light. Unfortunately it was a typical English summer day, i.e. overcast and windy!

I think this might be a maker's mark:

Last edited by Aqtai; 7th September 2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 7th September 2005, 07:08 PM   #12
Henk

Ooooh............... you are in big trouble!!!!!!!!! You bought your first one and she thinks it is old rusty iron!!!!!!! Believe me, they almost all do. But you have to go down on your knees for a second one and a third one .

But then you will come in the atmosphere that you can hang a new one between the others without telling her

She will scan the wall with her eyes and then it is necesarry to stay calm, don't let come the sweatdrops on your forehead and don't get a red face. And catch her with her own words when she is wearing a new dress...... That sword a new one??? Ooh no, that is hanging there already since months!!!!

Good hunting
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 03:49 AM   #13
ham

Nice crisp mark struck on the blade, well done.
Give Rawson's The Indian Sword a read. It will fill you in thoroughly on tulwars.

Sincerely,

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 04:01 AM   #14
Spunjer

Thumbs up

nice sword, agtai. also i find taking pictures on overcast days better than sunny days...

Quote:
She will scan the wall with her eyes and then it is necesarry to stay calm, don't let come the sweatdrops on your forehead and don't get a red face. And catch her with her own words when she is wearing a new dress...... That sword a new one??? Ooh no, that is hanging there already since months!!!!

AHAHAHAHA!!! classic. that is so true, henk. another classic one:

her: when did you get that one? (her looking at new sword)

me: hun, this is the same one i showed you couple months ago. (saying it with incredulous look on the face)
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 07:41 AM   #15
Yannis

Sometimes I feel the luckiest here. In my wall 3 pieces come from HER shopping!

The only problem is that I like to pick better examples and SHE doesnot let me sell them.

But even this fine person carries the same attitude often: "No more blades, we keep money for vacations. OK?". I agree and the next time I bid on Ebay. Now I wait for 2 pieces, how can I tell?
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 09:05 AM   #16
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Yannis,

This one is easy. When they arrive hide them until SHE is out of the house, remove two of the swords from the wall and put the two new ones up. When SHE comes home, you claim that a miracle has happened – remember to try to look as if you believe in it yourself, or you wont convince her.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 10:03 AM   #17
Henk

Yannis,

Never sell the pieces she bought for you!!!! Worship them and be sure they hang in the middle of the wall!! Thank her from time to time, bring her flowers and whisper in her ear that those three are so lonely and that you have the solution for it to the left and the right of those three
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote