Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th September 2006, 05:05 AM   #1
Steven C.

Default Wallhanger Qin Dynasty Swords?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELEGANT-JAPANESE...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm assuming thats a wallhanger, but I'm even more amazed that the Chinese are bothering to fake such a rediculously obscure sword!

There were several of these, different patterns and designs on ebay yesterday, that one just ended recently. I honestly have always liked the ancient Chinese swords, how bad are those repros? Also are these swords, accurate? I might buy one since thier so damn cheap. How bad do they hit you with shipping&handling anyways?
Steven C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 10:23 AM   #2
not2sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven C.
How bad do they hit you with shipping&handling anyways?
It saids $66 + insurance to ship to the US.

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Be careful Steven.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven C.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELEGANT-JAPANESE...QQcmdZViewItem

I honestly have always liked the ancient Chinese swords, how bad are those repros? Also are these swords, accurate? I might buy one since thier so damn cheap. How bad do they hit you with shipping&handling anyways?
PLEASE don't buy this or like this. Not even an accurate repro. Many sellers try to figure out what an American novice would buy and make some montrosity they think would appeal.

You can find good examples of sold chinese swords here.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/items.p...3&cat=6&page=0

Find a good dealer and buy from him.

or email me and I will give you some examples of swords and other dealers.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 04:40 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

THESE ITEMS ARE ALL REPLICAS AN ORIGINAL WOULD NEVER BE OFFERED ON EBAY FOR A CHEAP PRICE. HAVING SAID THAT SOME OF THEM DO MAKE NICE WALL HANGERS BUT CAN ONLY BE CONSIDERED AS DECORATOR ITEMS.
SOME OF THE OLDER ONES PRE WW2 WERE MADE BASED ON REAL EXAMPLES FROM MUSEUMS AND COLLECTIONS AND ARE ACTUALY QUITE GOOD REPLICAS. SOME OF THE LATER ONES ARE MADE UP USING PATTERNS FROM DIFFERENT PERIODS,GROUPS AND COUNTRYS AND MADE TO APPEAL TO BUYERS WITH NO KNOWLEGE OF WHAT IS PROPER OR NOT. THESE LATTER ARE WHAT I REFER TO AS FANTASY SWORDS AND SOME ARE ESPECIALLY FAR FROM ANYTHING THAT EVER EXHISTED IN REALITY. THE ONE YOU POSTED IS OK AS FAR AS FORM GOES BUT I THINK SOME OF THE DECORATION IS FROM DIFFERENT PERIODS AND UNLIKELY TO HAVE BEEN USED ON WEAPONS ESPECIALLY ON THE BLADE OR GRIPS, I ALSO THINK IT IS CHINESE BASED NOT JAPANESE.
I DO LIKE OLD CHINESE BRONZE ITEMS BUT AM NOT RICH ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO COLLECT THE REAL ITEMS SO HAVE TO SETTLE FOR GOOD REPLICAS OR WHAT APPEALS TO ME PERSONALLY. I HAVE QUITE A FEW REPLICAS OF OLD BRONZE VESSELS AND VASES AS WELL AS SOME BRONZE WEAPONS THEY ARE CURRENTLY ON DISPLAY AT A SMALL ASIAN ART MUSEUM LOCALLY. THERE IS NOT MUCH ORIENTAL BRONZE, REPLICAS OR OTHERWISE TO BE FOUND IN OKLAHOMA AND THEY HAD VERY LITTLE BRONZE ITEMS SO WERE INTERESTED IN A DISPLAY OF REPLICAS OF REAL EXAMPLES.
I HAD STOPPED BUYING ANYTHING FROM CHINA DUE TO THE PRACTICE OF SMALL PRICE AND A HIGH SHIPPING THAT CAN BEST BE DESCRIBED AS ROBBERY. THE THING TO DECIDE IS WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE A REAL WEAPON OR A WELL DONE BRONZE WORK DECORATOR ITEM? THE RESALE IF YOU EVER COME TO THAT WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER ON THE REAL ITEMS BUT OLDER TOP QUALITY BRONZE ART WILL ALSO GO UP SOME WHEN CHINA SELLS OUT ALL THE OLD STOCK AND STARTS MAKEING POORER QUALITY BRONZES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote