Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2011, 04:53 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Latest Philippine Dagger

This is one of my latest acquisitions, a very interesting Philippine dagger that I picked up recently. Horn hilt with brass fittings on both the hilt and the wooden scabbard. Your comments and opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 08:46 PM   #2
carlos

Hello Robert!
Beatiful dagger, seems solid and original dagger, congratulations with this adquisition, your colllection is my reference!!
best regards
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Atlantia

Love it Robert!
Interesting form has almost a Pesh-Kabz feel to the blade.

You must have an amazing collection now?
Are their any left in the Philippines?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Carlos and Gene, Thank you both for your kind words. As far as its having a Pesh-Kabz feel to the blade I noticed this when I found the first one of this type that I have. Sadly I have been told that there are probably more of the older Philippine blades in this country and others than there are in the Philippines. Below are pictures of the first dagger of this type that I acquired. The main difference besides the shape of the hilt itself is that this one unlike the one above has a medial ridge on both sides of the blade and both edges are fully sharpen clear to the hilt. Unfortunately I do not have the scabbard for this one. Thank you both again.

Robert
Attached Images

Old 19th April 2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Atlantia

There are double edged Indian/Indo-Persian daggers with exactly that shape blade.
Not sure if they are called pesh-kabs or something else.
Imagine yours with a Jade hilt!
Old 19th April 2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice and interesting piece! Like the "pesh"- type blade.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Atlantia

Like these
A double edged recurvy peshy yataghany thingy.
Attached Images

Old 19th April 2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Atlantia

Robert, the second ones downward curving hilt makes it look even MORE Pesh-like.
Lovely form. The quality looks very good as well. How do they feel? Whats the balance like?
Old 19th April 2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Sajen

Hello Robert,

"lovely" dagger! Your collection of philippine daggers and swords shall have an outstanding level on items. When you don't have space anymore feel free to send a part of your collection to me!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose, Detlef and Gene, Thank you all so very much for your complements and interest in these as I am very happy to be their caretaker for the present time.
Gene to answer your question, both of these daggers are very well balanced and very fast fighting weapons. I would hate to be on the receiving end of either but especially the last as it is extremely sharp and would deliver vicious wounds. If I ever decide to pass any of the better items that I have along members of this forum will be the first to know. Thank you all again.

Robert
Old 20th April 2011, 01:45 AM   #11
migueldiaz

Thanks Robert, for sharing the pics. On the 2nd dagger with a hemispherical pommel, I have a Luzon sword with a similar design (i.e., pommel).
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 01:59 AM   #12
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Migueldiaz and thank you for sharing the picture of your very nice dagger. Do you think that the second dagger I have posted could be from the same area as the first or do you think Luzon for its origin? With out the original scabbard I would not want to guess but with the blade being so similar I wonder. If by some chance you tire of the dagger you posted please feel free to bring it with you this fall and I'm sure I can find a space for it with these.

Robert
Old 20th April 2011, 02:12 AM   #13
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Migueldiaz and thank you for sharing the picture of your dagger. Do you think that the second dagger I have posted could be from the same area as the first or do you think Luzon for its origin? With out the original scabbard I would not want to guess but with the blade being so similar I wonder. If by some chance you tire of the dagger you posted please feel free to bring it with you this fall and I'm sure I can find a space for it with these.
Hi Robert. I just talked to the little feller. He said he's now enjoying the sun, sand, and surf in the many beaches here. And so he doesn't want to budge Can't blame the guy.

Joking aside, actually it's a sword. OAL is 27 1/4" and BL is 21 1/2". I definitely think that your dagger and my sword are from the same region in Luzon.

And I've always thought also that the pommel's radial design, plus the hemispherical shape, pertain to the sun which is the symbol of the Katipunan.

Your dagger even accentuates this (sun in Phil. flag) motif, with the adjacent Y-shape lines that is reminiscent of the Philippine flag's basic lines. In short, that's a mighty nice Phil. dagger you have there

Last edited by migueldiaz; 20th April 2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typo
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Hi Robert. I just talked to the little feller. He said he's now enjoying the sun, sand, and surf in the many beaches here. And so he doesn't want to budge Can't blame the guy.

Joking aside, actually it's a sword. OAL is 27 1/4" and BL is 21 1/2". I definitely think that your dagger and my sword are from the same region in Luzon.

And I've always thought also that the pommel's radial design, plus the hemispherical shape, pertain to the sun which is the symbol of the Katipunan.

Your dagger even accentuates this (sun in Phil. flag) motif, with the adjacent Y-shape lines that is reminiscent of the Philippine flag's basic lines. In short, that's a might nice Phil. dagger you have there
I cannot believe I missed this, boy do I feel stupid!!! It just goes to show that you can have something for years and miss the obvious until someone points it out to you. I cannot thank you enough for your help with this. So this would most likely have had a leather sheath then and not wooden one like the other. Thank you again for your help.

Robert