Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Pukka Bundook

Default Omani barrel.

Thanks to Stu here on the Forum, I can say the barrel in this thread is Omani, and have a few questions about it;

1, I have seen barrels very similar to this, and in All cases the metal (gold?) in the cartouches has been removed.
This I can understand, as gold is valuable, but why in All cases?
These cartouches are all the same shape on the barrels I have seen, So!...
Were these cartouches stamped with a stamp of ownership?
Or, the maker's stamp?
I can see how if an owner sold off some arms/barrels, he may wish his stamp to be removed.

Any thoughts Gentlemen?

Also;
I gather such barrels were made over a long period.
Can anyone give in this case an idea of age?

And;
I have seen a few of these barrels stocked up.
The barrels appear high quality, yet the rest of the gun usually appears very rudimentary. Is there an explanation for this?

Thank you for your time,
Richard.
Edited to say I am having troublke attaching relevant photos of the cartouches in the barrel. will attach them ASAP.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pukka Bundook; 18th August 2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: To explain missing photos.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

It is interesting ....The guns of Oman were seldom if ever made there... The majority appear to be imported and many were Persian made. The signatures on yours seem to be of Persian artesans . See also http://www.klm-mra.be/icomam/downloads/issue07.pdf and note that they consider a lot of the barrels to be European, perhaps German.

I seldom see gold on the barrels although silver appears often... See also http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=Omani+Guns

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 08:56 PM   #3
kahnjar1

The other thing about Omani barrels, is that they are all of the same intricate design, and not just a plain tube with minimal decoration as seen on most other "ethnic" long guns.
Ibrahiim has posted pics in the past of many barrels which he has, and these are all of the same design as those featured here.
As Richard observes, why mount a beautiful barrel on a relatively plain stock?
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
The other thing about Omani barrels, is that they are all of the same intricate design, and not just a plain tube with minimal decoration as seen on most other "ethnic" long guns.
Ibrahiim has posted pics in the past of many barrels which he has, and these are all of the same design as those featured here.
As Richard observes, why mount a beautiful barrel on a relatively plain stock?
Stu

Salaams kahnjar1 ~ That is also an interesting question. The plain wood used appears to be acacia; It is actually a nice timber and polishes well see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia ...the common desert thorn tree wood. Sometimes the woodwork at the Butt is wrapped in wolf skin...a Talisman treatment protecting the firer from evil spirits...I think the answer is plain basic necessity.

The trend in Ibaathi Oman was no nonsense practical with little high decoration...There was little that anyone could point to as ostentatious and gold decoration was somewhat considered as "over the top"..

The barrels are all imported mainly from Persia though it has been claimed that German barrels may also be in the mixture. There is a degree of showmanship in all these weapons in that largely they were for show and for parading in front of VIP s...

How many of these weapons were fired in anger is questionable..and experts in this field Icoman have mentioned this on passing. See http://www.klm-mra.be/icomam/downloads/issue07.pdf

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th August 2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 19th August 2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Pukka Bundook

Good morning Ibrahiim,

Thank you for the link in your first post of this thread, It is Very interesting!

From the forts to the date -palms and their uses, to the falaj/aelaj, to silver work. Time flew by as I read through it.
Thank you again.
Also, thank you for the 'new' link that I have yet to read.

As these barrels were mainly made in Persia, do they also show up on Persian arms? Logic would dictate so, but logic does not always apply.

I gather by what you say, that the stamps at the breech and tang are those of the barrel maker. Thank you for that.
RE. use;
I have seen barrels of this type where the touch-holes and pan are quite eroded from gasses, so it would appear some were used quite heavily.
Whether this was at festivities or what I have no way of telling!

Thanks again,
Richard.

Last edited by Pukka Bundook; 19th August 2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: dis-jointed word/s.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Good morning Ibrahiim,

Thank you for the link in your first post of this thread, It is Very interesting!

From the forts to the date -palms and their uses, to the falaj/aelaj, to silver work. Time flew by as I read through it.
Thank you again.
Also, thank you for the 'new' link that I have yet to read.

As these barrels were mainly made in Persia, do they also show up on Persian arms? Logic would dictate so, but logic does not always apply.

I gather by what you say, that the stamps at the breech and tang are those of the barrel maker. Thank you for that.
RE. use;
I have seen barrels of this type where the touch-holes and pan are quite eroded from gasses, so it would appear some were used quite heavily.
Whether this was at festivities or what I have no way of telling!

Thanks again,
Richard.
Salaams Pukka Bundook...Im on a shocking computer in Doha airport...and on my way to Casablanca...yes the worn touch hole means lots of use..was it hunting...or fighting? or pageant or all of these? A lot of these barrels blew up...separated at the first barrel joint...likely through too much or the wrong powder being used... probably modern powder...

Regards,

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.