Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Iliad

Default British Army Swaggerstick?

Hi all, my last posting was of an Indian Tulwar collected by a British Army officer, so I thought I'd continue the theme. Here are pics of what I believe is a British Army Swaggerstick with concealed dagger, and I was told by the person I purchased from that he thought it had been used in India in the 19th century. The scabbard and handle are wood covered by leather, with the leather showing signs of considerable wear; very thin in places. Comments will be appreciated as I want to increase my knowledge of the items in my collection.
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default A nice piece

A neat piece Brian. What are the domensions of this one? It does carry some age but how old, I could not say with certainty. It is a shame to see the blade being ground the way it is. I look forward to discussing it more.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Iliad

Default Swaggerstick

Hi Gav,
Overall length 48cm, blade length 35cm. The blade is quite sharp, with really sharp point. How is the new baby? And season's greetings to you and yours.
Brian
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:41 PM   #4
broadaxe

From my own experience, leather coated swagger sticks are typical to the colonies of East & South Africa, so is the work on this blade.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

I also think it is African. I am thinking North Africa parts of the Sahel?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Africa makes sense

Africa certainly makes more sense as the officers in India usually carried long walking cane length swagger sticks make from Malacca and usually with silver/silver plated or nickel plated tops, often with regiment insignia too. The officers in India were in the habit of whipping the sepoys with these canes rather than stabbing anyone.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Iliad

Default Swaggerstick

I am puzzled by the possible African origin, as the blade appears to my inexpert eye to be quite sophisticated in its manufacture. Maybe of European origin but exported to Africa and used there? I attach hopefully better pics of the blade. My apologies for poor pics; I am an Accountant, not a photographer!

Also, pics for comparative purposes, of what probably could not be called a swaggerstick, bought by me from a man who used to live in Kenya. He watched the village blacksmith make this weapon from scrap metal and then purchased it. The blade is crudely made when compared with the first one, hence my wondering at the attribution to Africa of the much more expertly made blade of the first.
All opinions welcome!
Brian
Attached Images

Old 25th December 2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

Might be time to explore more African work?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 04:42 PM   #9
broadaxe

The blade of the swagger stick in question looks like have been a long European military-style sword blade in the beginning, re-worked. This is not uncommon. Look at the crude grinding marks at the edge and point and the zigzag decoration pattern.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 12:34 AM   #10
Iliad

Default British Army Swaggerstick?

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice, which I shall mull over. I prefer to think that the item was heroically used in the Indian Mutiny by a British officer in the defence of a damsel in distress, slaying hundreds in the process! Alas, this may not be so!
I have begun two new threads, one of another swaggerstick(?) and one of a Saif............African, to please Tim.
Brian