Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th December 2018, 05:54 PM   #1
roanoa

Default ethiopian sword/arab blade???

I just got this gorade. I need an expert opinion to identify the blade. I think is "Arabian"? Maybe from North Africa? Any idea about the age? Cheers.
Attached Images

roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 12:01 AM   #2
ariel

I am inclining toward European trade, German more likely.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 09:39 PM   #3
kahnjar1

I agree with Ariel that the blade is likely Solingen from where many blades were supplied to Ethiopia. Wilkinson of London also supplied many blades to the region.
I would discount North Africa or Arabia as point of origin as it is most unlikely that any blade from there would be decorated in the manner shown.
As to age, the blade is likely 19th or early 20th century though the date of mounting could be any time.
See here also for Ethiopian swords
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24493
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 10:58 PM   #4
ariel

Based on what I saw coming to the market, most gurades sport European blades. I have one German and one Russian, Zlatoust dated 1853.

Wilkinson made shotels as well, but all I have seen were obviously local.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

I am also of the opinion it is rather European blade, but it does not seem to be one of those typical custom-designed (decorated with etching "on Ethiopian requests").
The blade from Zlatoust dated 1853 could originally be a property of one of the cossacks or dragoons accompanying Russian envoys by the end of 19th century. Such blades are not common on gorades...
I saw one gorade with interesting - probably Persian or may be Turkish blade. I hope IŽll be able to post a photo later. But such combination is also not common.
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 12:04 AM   #6
TVV

I have a gorade with a Russian Zlatoust made blade, dated 1875, most probably from the M1865 officer shashka. I cannot be sure what the exact story behind these Russian blades is, but it appears to be more than just a random blade or two left there by an individual traveling to the area. Maybe some enterprising merchant brought a whole bunch of surplus blades in the early 20th century, or maybe these are part of Soviet military aid during the 30s (or later).

Back to the subject of this thread: these crescent and star symbols are obviously Muslim and I recall seeing similar markings on Yemeni mounted blades. Swords generally traveled from Ethiopia to Yemen because of the rhino hilts, but it is possible this European blade traveled in the other direction.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 06:26 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
....I saw one gorade with interesting - probably Persian or may be Turkish blade. I hope IŽll be able to post a photo later....
Here it is
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote