Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 11th October 2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Swordsmith question

not really sure if this is the right place to post this...
a good friend of mine passed away not too long ago. his daughters were asking if there are any swordsmiths around that would make a sword in honor of their dad, but with a twist; they want their dad's cremated ashes mixed with it.
thanks in advance
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 07:09 PM   #2
spiral

Ashes might last in a matrix of synthetic hilt material, but would be lost in the slag of molten steel/iron production.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Hey Ron. I'm sure you could find a sword smith right here in Ohio who would do that. If this was my process i don't think i would be worried about the ashes being lost in the slag since the addition of the ash would be more a symbolic gesture. I certainly know some nearby smiths who would undertake such a task, but i'm not sure if they produce the level of craft your friend might be looking for.
As for right place i would say that this thread seems more appropriate to the Misc. section so i'm going to transfer it over there.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 07:36 PM   #4
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
. If this was my process i don't think i would be worried about the ashes being lost in the slag since the addition of the ash would be more a symbolic gesture. I certainly know some nearby smiths who would undertake such a task,
I guess that would depend on the daughters understanding of the facts & their wishes being truthfully fulfilled & how they wish to deal with Their grief process for Their father.

spiral
Old 11th October 2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Spunjer

Thanks David. I would gladly passed on the name/names of the swordsmiths you know. I'd you don't mind, please on me their name/address
Kind regards
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 08:18 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
I guess that would depend on the daughters understanding of the facts & their wishes being truthfully fulfilled & how they wish to deal with Their grief process for Their father.

spiral
Well of course Spiral, that is fairly obvious, isn't it? That is why i was clear about stating that my opinion was based upon my own understandings of such things and not a blanket statement that this is the way things are for everyone. My statement was directed towards Ron as an alternative way of thinking about the matter, not meant to refute your facts about the material loss or to create a debate on the matter.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 08:31 PM   #7
spiral

Ahhh I was stating the obvious then... That's good,

I wasn't sure for a moment, glad I was though!

spiral