Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th October 2018, 06:18 PM   #31
Jon MB

Hello All.
I always assumed the extensions to the butt of these guns was related to either:

1) Balance when carried (possible counterwight to barrel),
2) Reloading with the butt placed on sandy/rugged ground ,
3) Possible use as a club.

Obviously over time the original function could have been forgotten and the feature have been maintained as something traditional.

Just a thought on the topic. Nice piece Markku, have a similar one.
Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 07:57 PM   #32
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB
Hello All.
I always assumed the extensions to the butt of these guns was related to either:

1) Balance when carried (possible counterwight to barrel),
2) Reloading with the butt placed on sandy/rugged ground ,
3) Possible use as a club.

Obviously over time the original function could have been forgotten and the feature have been maintained as something traditional.

Just a thought on the topic. Nice piece Markku, have a similar one.
#1 above is unlikely, as the barrel would be much heavier than the (added?)wooden pad.
#2 Why would a wooden pad be added to a wooden stock to avoid contamination by sand? The folds of the skin covering (often seen on these butts) would be more likely to harbor sand than a plain wooden stock.
#3 If the gun ended up being used as a club, the existing stock would be more than sufficient to knock a person out.
Certainly the original reason for the butt "pads" remains a mystery but I do not believe that the reason is any of the above ideas. Most likely as has been said in above posts, the butt is designed to "soften" the recoil, or is just a matter of taste.
Stu

Last edited by kahnjar1; 15th October 2018 at 12:11 AM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 08:46 PM   #33
Victrix

Yes probably to soften the recoil as the rifle butt is otherwise fairly narrow (but why convex and not concave?). In addition I notice that these rifles don’t have slings attached to them. So the buttpads may also help to prevent the butt from sliding out from under the bend of the arm when riding a horse or camel?
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 09:13 PM   #34
Jon MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
#1 above is unlikely, as the barrel would be much heavier than the (added?)wooden pad.
#2 Why would a wooden pad be added to a wooden barrel to avoid contamination by sand? The folds of the skin covering (often seen on these butts) would be more likely to harbor sand than a plain wooden stock.
#3 If the gun ended up being used as a club, the existing stock would be more than sufficient to knock a person out.
Certainly the original reason for the butt "pads" remains a mystery but I do not believe that the reason is any of the above ideas. Most likely as has been said in above posts, the butt is designed to "soften" the recoil, or is just a matter of taste.
Stu
Stu, in response to your points, (I see you have no doubt handled such pieces)
Point 1. The sizes of these additions vary. Either way the centre of balance would be shifted, which may or may not have been desired by the tribal users.
Point 2. If you look at the base of the stocks with the additions, they are often quite worn. Many examples are not fur covered.
Point 3. If you say so. Hard to know at this point.

'Taste' would here be a question of cultural norms related to weapons.

Elgood mentions absorbsion of recoil but does not elaborate, but it would be interesting to hear explanations from the tribal users of these weapons, or their decendants.

Last edited by Jon MB; 14th October 2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 14th October 2018, 09:37 PM   #35
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB
Stu, in response to your points, (I see you have no doubt handled such pieces)
Point 1. The sizes of these additions vary. Either way the centre of balance would be shifted, which may or may not have been desired by the tribal users.
Point 2. If you look at the base of the stocks with the additions, they are often quite worn. Many examples are not fur covered.
Point 3. If you say so. Hard to know at this point.

'Taste' would here be a question of cultural norms related to weapons.

Elgood mentions absorbsion of recoil but does not elaborate, but it would be interesting to hear explanations from the tribal users of these weapons, or their decendants.
Your points may well be right, and I am not saying that you are wrong. Simply that this issue is a discussion point, from which (hopefully) a valid reason for these butt extensions will appear.
Yes I have owned in the past a couple of these guns but stupidly sold them in a weak moment
In answer to your comments, I agree that the sizes do vary BUT they are only made of wood and weigh next to nothing in comparison to the barrel. Yes some are worn but then many old gunstocks show signs of wear. I would guess that these get rougher treatment than (for instance) a European gun. As far as use as a "club" goes I certainly would not like to have one aimed at my head. As you say it's hard to tell but I would not like to be on the receiving end!
Stu
Old 14th October 2018, 10:16 PM   #36
Jon MB

Thank you Stu.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:21 AM   #37
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Yes probably to soften the recoil as the rifle butt is otherwise fairly narrow (but why convex and not concave?). In addition I notice that these rifles don’t have slings attached to them. So the buttpads may also help to prevent the butt from sliding out from under the bend of the arm when riding a horse or camel?
Hi Victrix,
Not all Middle Eastern guns have sling attachment rings, but the subject gun and also others shown in this thread do have rings on the side for attachment of a sling or retaining strap.
Stu
Old 15th October 2018, 03:10 PM   #38
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
By the way, similar butt can be seen in some Afghan rifles:
The photo here shows the thick leather pads added to the butt sections. This, more than likely was to help reduce more severe recoil. Seems rather obvious.

It's the wood half-circle Arab alteration that is still a mystery to me. I just view it as a styling technique from tradition. Can't come up with a different reason.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2018, 03:33 PM   #39
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
Hi!

I removed wooden pad-it vas "riveted" with wood nails.
And looks like that..

regards Markku
Interesting. This shows the butt cap was an intentionally added feature.

Rick
Old 15th October 2018, 03:38 PM   #40
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
Here some photos more...

regards Markku
Hi Bandook

I could not help but notice the wrap-around type decoration on the butt stock of your gun is almost identical to the butt stock of that duel ignition gun I posted.
Both Coorg guns.

Rick
Old 15th October 2018, 03:57 PM   #41
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Giving a bit more thought to the subject, a couple of further reasons for adding the wooden butt pad could be :-

1. From memory, the matchlock I owned had a very heavy long barrel. The butt
pad would be a counterweight to the barrel when holding and firing.

2. Indian people tended to have relatively small frames (ref. tulwar hilts); the
butt pad addition would suit an Arab man with a longer reach.

Here is a rather more "high status" gun, that was in auction in Britain earlier this year, for comparison.
Hi Colin

Item 2 you mention above is something I believe is often over-looked when studying these shoulder guns. With the exception of the thick, leather pads which would seem obvious to reduce recoil, the separate wood butt cap, whether Arab, Coorg, or even Ottoman leads me to believe you are correct. Should the gun be traded or sold, the user could change the Length of Pull (LOP) to accommodate a different shooter by just extending or shortening the butt cap. It's why I believe the Ottoman guns butt stocks were always made in two pieces.
It's also what makes these guns a bit difficult to shoot today. The LOP typically being between 11 and 12 inches. Whereas the European guns would be closer to 13 to 13.5 inches. Today's shooters average 14 inches.
And, as you mention, the grips on the tulwar swords are smaller than their European counterparts. Quite interesting.

Rick
Old 17th October 2018, 04:43 AM   #42
kahnjar1

To add to the interesting information and discussion above, here is Elgood's take on the Indo-Arab gun, from his book Firearms of the Islamic World (in the Tareq Rajab Museum, Kuwait).
Hope you find it of interest.
Stu
Attached Images

Old 17th October 2018, 03:00 PM   #43
rickystl

Thanks Stu. Most interesting. Glad I have this book.

Rick
Old 17th October 2018, 03:12 PM   #44
colin henshaw

Quote:
To add to the interesting information and discussion above, here is Elgood's take on the Indo-Arab gun, from his book Firearms of the Islamic World (in the Tareq Rajab Museum, Kuwait).
Hope you find it of interest.
Stu
Hi Stu

You may be interested to know that the middle gun you have illustrated (no. 125) now in the Kuwait Museum, was the one once owned by me. Bought in an antique shop in Abu Dhabi and which I foolishly sold later in the UK.

Colin
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 06:16 PM   #45
Jon MB

Oh! And I was just about to comment on the beauty that is no. 125...
Old 17th October 2018, 07:49 PM   #46
kahnjar1

Quote:
Hi Stu

You may be interested to know that the middle gun you have illustrated (no. 125) now in the Kuwait Museum, was the one once owned by me. Bought in an antique shop in Abu Dhabi and which I foolishly sold later in the UK.

Colin
Glad I am not the only one to regret selling stuff
Old 19th October 2018, 03:07 PM   #47
rickystl

Quote:
Glad I am not the only one to regret selling stuff
Me too. LOL

Rick
Old 1st December 2018, 09:14 AM   #48
colin henshaw

Found this image from The National Museum of Yemen, Sana'a which might interest. Note the guns in the display case in the background...
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:05 AM   #49
kahnjar1

Quote:
Found this image from The National Museum of Yemen, Sana'a which might interest. Note the guns in the display case in the background...
Great pic Colin and thanks for posting. I wonder with the troubles in Yemen if the museum is still standing!
Interesting that all the long guns shown on display appear to have the butt "extension" which perhaps suggests that the feature COULD be typical only to that region. Certainly the Omani matchlock does not have the butt extension (see pic), and to my knowledge it is the only other type of matchlock peculiar to the Arabian Peninsula.
Stu
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2018, 10:18 AM   #50
Kubur

Quote:
another one
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:25 PM   #51
Kubur

Here two photos of Ottoman matchlocks in Istanbul.
The link is very clear to me...
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 06:19 PM   #52
rickystl

Wonderful pics guys. And a very interesting Thread.

Rick
Old 2nd December 2018, 06:58 PM   #53
kahnjar1

A question re the guns shown in the pic posted by KUBUR....... the 2 on the right certainly look to be Turkish as described by the museum item labels, as the butt shape looks typically from that region, however the one on the left is typical of the subject gun of this thread.........mislabeled???
Stu

Last edited by kahnjar1; 3rd December 2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 17th May 2021, 01:03 PM   #54
David R

Regarding the Arab style butt, years ago when these were often referred to as "Camel guns" I was told that they were often "tap loaded" from horse or camel back.
Tap loading is done without the use of a ramrod, powder and shot are put down the barrel and the butt then banged on the ground to force the load down to the breech. If the touch hole was large enough it would prime the pan as well, if it was a flintlock.
The large butt extension could make sense in these circumstances.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2021, 09:26 PM   #55
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Regarding the Arab style butt, years ago when these were often referred to as "Camel guns" I was told that they were often "tap loaded" from horse or camel back.
Tap loading is done without the use of a ramrod, powder and shot are put down the barrel and the butt then banged on the ground to force the load down to the breech. If the touch hole was large enough it would prime the pan as well, if it was a flintlock.
The large butt extension could make sense in these circumstances.
That’s very interesting. I can imagine the frustration on horse/camelback when fiddling with a ramrod and dropping it to the ground. Can see why “tap loading” might be a preferred method.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2021, 10:22 PM   #56
David R

I have "tap loaded" back when I shot muzzle loaders and it is faster than ramming... but always a bit risky if you put a ball down there.

Napoleonic armies did it a lot to increase rate of fire, the record is 12 rounds in one minute by one of Wellingtons veterans.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote