Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 6th June 2019, 03:59 PM   #1
BUCC_Guy

Default My polearm collection for your amusement

Someone from another forum advised I stop by here for antique weapon info.

I’ve been collecting polearms for almost a decade. I’ve purchased from retail, like Fagan Arms (ouch! My wallet!), auctions in the U.S., and most recently from Czerny’s in Italy. Communication has been spotty with Czerny’s and only half my auction winnings actually arrived, so... yeah.

I’m still learning the photo upload system, but I have attached photos as such in addition to linking to my hosting site:

My entryway with polearms displayed currently
Older photos showing closeups of some heads
Excess/extras in my umbrella stand, stacked in a corner
Closeups of newer ones that just arrived from Italy

I usually post on gun forums and I use firearms for scale, because everyone over there understands the scale. The pistol in these photos is a CZ75 for reference.

So far, the bulk of the collection is as such:

Lucerne Hammer, circa 1560, original wood
Partisan, likely 17th century
Halberd, munitions grade, blackened, low quality, late 16th c.
Voulge (I don’t call it a bardiche, but I know why some would) 15th c.(?)
Glaive - very likely 19th/20th c. repro (leaned against wall)
Voulge - German, mid 15th c. - I suspect a Victorian repro (leaned against wall)
Boar spear (umbrella stand) - no supporting info
Halberd - still researching, animal figures/shapes (umbrella stand)
Fauchard (Glaive) - pictured with CZ75 - Northern Italy circa 1550
Lance - pictured with CZ75 - Italian, mid to late 15th century

I travel on business for weeks at a time and can’t get better photos for now. I am a remote worker and limited to an iPad, so resizing and posting photos is an absolute chore.

I have two more polearms coming in from Italy soon... I hope. I’m dealing with Italians so anything can happen.

On my wish list is a spetum, batwing corseque, and I need to step up my halberd game. I have devised a new polearm display system to be installed after my $3300 lighting install, and I should be able to display 12-14 vertically, as opposed to half that as they are splayed out now.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

I’ve given up on embedding more photos in the post. It’s incredibly frustrating.

The last two, just purchased, as such:
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 7th June 2019 at 06:51 PM.
BUCC_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Victrix

Nice collection! That’s quite an armoury you have there. I stopped buying from Italy. You must have the patience of a saint.

The thing on the left in the third photo is a Swedish pike with guard m/1697 (they remained in issue until 19thC).
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 01:18 PM   #3
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Nice collection! That’s quite an armoury you have there. I stopped buying from Italy. You must have the patience of a saint.

The thing on the left in the third photo is a Swedish pike with guard m/1697 (they remained in issue until 19thC).
Good eye! Yes, it is an m/1697. It was the second polearm I ever bought.

I know very little about them except that there are a lot of them on the market compared to other items.
Attached Images

Old 7th June 2019, 02:33 PM   #4
CSinTX

Welcome fellow AR15'er. Nice collection.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 06:47 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum Guy .Beautiful pieces you show us .
As per rules, we only consider pictures uploaded with our attachment features. To make it easy for you, the first ones you linked from photo hosts were deleted (by me) and reloaded accordingly, now appearing in the end of the thread.

PS
... And then i noticed that you posted the said images with both systems .
Post re-edited; all is well .

Last edited by fernando; 7th June 2019 at 07:00 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 01:51 AM   #6
batjka

Glad you joined! This place is a treasure of knowledge. Perhaps someone could chime in about the berdiche-looking weapon.

And that hammer is very interesting.
batjka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #7
BUCC_Guy

A new shipment of polearms arrived, two from Italy and two halberds from Auctions Imperial. One halberd I quite like, the other one was a waste of money. I think it’s real, it just has minimal... flavor.

I’ll shamelessly use auction photos for some.

There’s a bardiche looking weapon that I really hesitate to call a bardiche. I’m going to continue to do research on it, as it certainly has the shape associated with early extant halberds and artistic renditions from the 13th-14th century. As we know from art examples, there was a range of one to three sockets, some some voulge-like examples with capped/long sockets, so attachment method, to me, takes a back seat to blade shape. But, as we know, there were some peasant weapons all the way through the 18th century that used this shape also. Most later examples, however, had a larger gap between blade and shaft.

I’ve enclosed a painting from the mid 13th century and an example of a 13th century halberd for comparison.

Additionally, I received what appears to be a mid-16th century corseque, although I typically call this a ranseur. Langets shorted, but otherwise a nice example.

Also attached is a rather petite but stout Swiss halberd, I’d reckon mid to late 16th century. I rather like it, owing to the short and sturdy spike.

Also in view is a rather boring Swiss halberd, shortened haft.

I’m running out of space! Hopefully I will have a new gallery hanging system this summer.
Attached Images

Old 4th July 2019, 02:08 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCC_Guy
... I’ve enclosed a painting from the mid 13th century and an example of a 13th century halberd for comparison...
Both exceptional, no doubt .

Quote:
...I’m running out of space ...
I could help you with that .
Old 4th July 2019, 03:00 PM   #9
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Both exceptional, no doubt .

I could help you with that .

I’ve engineered a new hanging system, and purchased $2000 in art gallery lighting. I should be able to fit 14 polearms on the walls that currently have only 6... and they’ll be properly lit!

The only one I’ve ever considered selling is an American Revolution era pike. Americans don’t do polearms well... we’re better at other weapons... that I also have too many of.

Attached Images

Last edited by BUCC_Guy; 4th July 2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:01 PM   #10
Victrix

Congrats on the expanded collection! I particularly like the sturdy Swiss halberd. I have a similar one but with a longer spike and a hook. Don’t despair of the item with the shortened haft as these can be used in displays where the piece of missing haft is concealed by a shield, piece of furniture, etc.

You may consider procuring a rack for your pole arms, the type which they used in castle armouries. These are cool and prevent you from running out of space.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:16 PM   #11
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Congrats on the expanded collection! I particularly like the sturdy Swiss halberd. I have a similar one but with a longer spike and a hook. Don’t despair of the item with the shortened haft as these can be used in displays where the piece of missing haft is concealed by a shield, piece of furniture, etc.

You may consider procuring a rack for your pole arms, the type which they used in castle armouries. These are cool and prevent you from running out of space.
I will likely have a custom rack made when I buy a house. For now, I live in a 30+ story highrise, and my rack will be more modern looking.

This is the shortened halberd. You’re right... I can do lots of things to hide the bottom! It’s just annoying that it’s more effort, but at least it didn’t cost much.
Attached Images

Old 4th July 2019, 03:22 PM   #12
fernando

Quote:
... we’re better at other weapons... that I also have too many of. ...
You need not bother showing those ... at all; this is not the right venue for such sort of things !.
Old 4th July 2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Terry K

Very nice collection!
Terry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2019, 11:05 PM   #14
Victrix

For when you move into that house.
Attached Images

Old 5th July 2019, 01:13 AM   #15
CSinTX

Quote:
Also attached is a rather petite but stout Swiss halberd, I’d reckon mid to late 16th century. I rather like it, owing to the short and sturdy spike.
I think this piece may be styrian. Take a look at the one here. The design and "keyholes" are very similar to yours. It has the "HW" mark that is known to be styrian.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=halberd
Old 5th July 2019, 03:48 AM   #16
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSinTX
I think this piece may be styrian. Take a look at the one here. The design and "keyholes" are very similar to yours. It has the "HW" mark that is known to be styrian.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=halberd
Very well could be!

I should have posted mine with the makers mark showing.
Attached Images

Old 5th July 2019, 04:21 AM   #17
CSinTX

Quote:
I should have posted mine with the makers mark showing.
With that mark, you might want to check out this thread, if you havent already. Several Swiss halberds with similar marks. Who knows?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...7&page=1&pp=30
Old 5th July 2019, 09:00 AM   #18
Victrix

Makers’ marks make collecting much more interesting, but has frustrations on it’s own. I recognize the mark but can’t recall the name now... The marks on polearms seem less known than swords. This style of halberd is German, which could be just about anywhere in the Germanic lands including Styria (Steiermark). It looks sturdy and the short but thick spike makes it look functional rather than a parade item. I did some research on my halberd. Apart from the shape of the blade you can compare the construction of the socket with museum pieces.

These halberds are Styrian from the Army (Heeresgeschichtliche) Museum in Vienna. I think most identifiable Austrian halberds were made in either Wiener Neustadt or Steyr.
Attached Images

Last edited by Victrix; 5th July 2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 5th July 2019, 10:03 AM   #19
kronckew

Talking

Cool collection. Here in the UK Infantry Colour Sergeants carried Halberds like mine below into the late 18c. (2nd/3rd photo).

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 6th July 2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: inconvenient ...ness
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 09:59 PM   #20
CSinTX

Nice collection! Artillery shells can work for display but careful, they get tippy. Wouldn't want them to fall and poleaxe the cat.
Attached Images

Old 5th July 2019, 10:34 PM   #21
fernando

Quote:
... Artillery shells can work for display but careful, they get tippy. Wouldn't want them to fall and poleaxe the cat.
Says i, with three of them around the house. For safety, besides placing the shells against corners, i glue a larger square of acrylic under their base.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 9th July 2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 31st October 2019, 05:25 PM   #22
BUCC_Guy

My new lighting and gallery hanging system is nearly finished.

I used plumbing pipe hangers, threaded rod, and an aluminum rail. I can move each holder around whenever I want, and the pipe hangers are hinged for swapping things out.

I can’t believe it cost me $4000 to put it together. Glad it is almost done.
Attached Images

Old 31st October 2019, 06:53 PM   #23
CSinTX

I like it! I assume the lighting was most of the cost? Have you considered placing the copper and brass pieces outside to allow them to age some? Maybe there is an accelerated chemical aging process that would work?
Old 31st October 2019, 07:09 PM   #24
kronckew

Quote:
I like it! I assume the lighting was most of the cost? Have you considered placing the copper and brass pieces outside to allow them to age some? Maybe there is an accelerated chemical aging process that would work?
Egg yolk is good for tarnishing copper and silver alloys. It's naturally high in sulphur compounds.

"Liver of Sulphur" works even faster & has a nice pleasant aroma your family will love, and it lingers for your future enjoyment. Just a few drops diluted in your wife's favourite sauce pan will endear you to her forever. get the gel version, it lasts longer, the powder version goes off in a few hours exposed to air. If your family is of the rare ones that find the aroma not to their liking, you may want to use it outdoors.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 07:33 PM   #25
Fernando K

Hello

I always wonder if any of the tridents were used to cut the reins of the enemy rider. There is a model of Spanish spear that has blades to cut reins.

Affectionately
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 05:09 PM   #26
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Lights, $2k materials, install/drywall/paint $1.5k, the remainder was various materials and shipping for the hanging system.

I thought the copper electroplated hangers would look better than white, black, or silver. They are cast iron with plating, so I don’t think I could patinate them. I can always paint them, though.

I’ve got some smaller diameter hangers on the way for the thinner poles. The largest axe head on the cleaver-like voulge likes to swing out and greet you at the door.

I engineered this system myself with materials available, so I know it doesn’t look as clean as a museum setup. More importantly, though, is that it’s removable and adjustable. I could pack it up and move it to a new home if needed.

When finished with hangers at both levels and appropriately sized, nothing should move or be... floppy.

My main reason for bumping the thread and sharing is that the system may only be a 5 out of 10 on aesthetics, but function is like a 9. If I had fewer weapons, I could twist the bottom hangers at an angle, push them together, and do a fan effect like we see at most US museums.

Edit: As you can see from my earlier picture, the lighting system was badly needed! I’ve been talking about doing it for 7 years. I finally did it.