Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th July 2015, 02:43 AM   #1
johnrwatkin

Default Is this a Piso Podang?

I purchased this sword from a very close friend, a Chinese coffee-shop owner in Siniawan, Sarawak in north west Borneo in 1987. Lu had an impressive collection of artefacts and collectibles, purchased from the surrounding Bidayuh (Land Dayaks) and Iban (Sea Dayaks) longhouses. But Lu was over 80 years old when I knew him, and was having to reluctantly part with his collection to fund his retirement.

Lu told me that this was an important sword, owned by a “very big chief”. There are no markings on the sword that I can see.

The hilt of the sword is in three pieces. The lower part comprising the cross guard and lower part of the grip is either solid silver or a silver alloy – it certainly tarnishes like silver!

The upper part of the grip is a thin sheet of silver, wrapped around a solid core of something, possibly wood, and possibly the shaft of the pommel.
The pommel is very intricately carved, possibly zoomorphic? It appears to be hardwood – not bone or horn - and resembles a highly stylised monkey's head.

The blade is single edged and has two fullers – a wide one and a second narrower one adjacent to the back of the blade. The blade is 650mm long from cross guard to tip.

The scabbard is made of two pieces of hardwood, bound by silver alloy locket, chape and 10 additional banding rings.

But I know nothing else about this sword. How old is it? Is it in fact a Piso Podang sword – I have never seen another with a silver hilt nor a carved zoomorphic pommel.
Attached Images

johnrwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 11:55 AM   #2
CharlesS

Very interesting combination here. The blade, scabbard, and guard do certainly look like those of a piso podang. Only the hilt's grip and pommel are not a "correct fit". These carved horn pommels are found throughout the Indonesian archipelago, but this particular type is often associated with Sumatra.

My thinking here is that it is simply a custom made job, based on the owner's likes. The fact that the hilt fits so perfectly together and this all seems "born together" makes me think this is not a later put together hilt.

There is always the possibility that the upper portion of the original piso podang style hilt was damaged at some point and repaired and replaced by a very capable craftsman in this manner. We will likely never know.

Interesting, nice and complete variation!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 01:01 PM   #3
ariel

Guys,
Have you noticed you share the same avatar?
Statistics wouldn't allow for it: you must be each other's evil twins:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote