Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th March 2018, 09:54 PM   #1
archer

Default Hand gonne and small cannon barrel

Hi can anyone help shed light on these two oddities? First the small 58 cal barrel with out trunnions there are two tiny punched holes 90 degrees from touch hole. nothing to explain how it was retained in a carriage as a model toy or a stock for firing?

Next is the larger rust one with a 30-40 cal hole when rust is removed/ Was this ever an early Indian weapon? Or perhaps a recycled matchlock barrel with trunnions forged on for useful stability? Lets hear your thoughts. I'll try and clear the rusty bore a bit its not loaded. Thanks Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 03:35 AM   #2
BBJW

Judging by the size I believe they are old toys. Also there would be no reason for a cascable knob on a matchlock barrel.-- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 04:59 PM   #3
archer

Default Recycled Torador barrel

My mention of a recycled gun barrel was from these photos where the opened end of a damaged section could be reworked and sealed, perhaps. I think the larger barrel is much older. The trunnions almost an after thought. I think BBJW that your right the first is a toy or model, Thanks steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Paddy T.

If you search for "toy cannon" In the London Portable Antiques Scheme for example you will find very similar 18th and 19th century toys from different locations in England. Like this one: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefa...cord/id/848407 , but there are a more small cannons in the database. But there are also small cannons which havenīt been used as toys, but as funny jokes for banquets to fire salute shots. Sometimes they have added a sundial with a magniffying glass to fire the cannon at a certain hour.
Paddy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 04:23 PM   #5
rickystl

The last photo does indeed look like a cut off piece of Torador barrel made into a small salute type hand gonne.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote