Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th December 2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Jean

Thank you David for showing us the full blade.... Its overall shape (angle of the ganja especially) looks different from the typical long blades from Java North Coast.
I attach the pic of a Palembang kris with a rather similar blade but only 25 cm long.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Gustav

David, here a picture of a kris, which was presented to George IV when Prince Regent by Stamford Raffles, 10 May 1817. No measurements, yet it could be smaller then yours - but exactly these straight S-Sumatra Keris with the same Ricikan are often longer then 38 cm.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Gustav

Mine is a bit different animal. Now I understand, it could come from West Java - a search shows, how much S-Sumatra, in fact whole Sumatra and Malay Peninsula, was at an earlier time period influenced by North/West Java (later by Central Java). The Java Demam hilt form originates there, perhaps even the typical S-Sumatran bell-like Selut.

From what I understand at the moment and am able to see, the blade could be earlier then 1800, the dress perhaps before 1850.

The same pictures in correct orientation.
Attached Images

Old 19th December 2018, 01:30 PM   #4
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Gustav,

Congrats, that's a great catch!

Quote:
From what I understand at the moment and am able to see, the blade could be earlier then 1800, the dress perhaps before 1850.
D'accord. As you mention, the edge seems to have seen some revision; still it looks like the blade was slender to begin with...

What about the inlay? Any translations forthcoming? (Close-ups would certainly help.)

The hilt really seems to be one of those one-offs that clearly exhibit Chinese taste and probably got commissioned for wear by a Peranakan (which doesn't help in placing the ensemble since this could be just about any trading port throughout the archipelago as already mentioned).

IMVHO, the scabbard seems to be the best bet in placing the ensemble.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Gustav

Kai, thank you.

the revision of the edge seems to have been repeated a couple of times.
The Odo-Odo is quite out of center at the second Luk. I would say, the blade there originally was still 3 cm wide.

And, just to illustrate the subject I wrote about in my last post, a riddle for all viewers - from where originates this Keris?

The smaller picture is a picture from a booklet by Solyom about a Lampung exhibition. Try to pigeonhole one of them and you will get nightmares.

Speaking about that region (N/W Java - S Sumatra) you can be sure of very little.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 19th December 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 19th December 2018, 03:35 PM   #6
kai

Hello Gustav,

Quote:
the revision of the edge seems to have been repeated a couple of times.
The Odo-Odo is quite out of center at the second Luk. I would say, the blade there originally was still 3 cm wide.
Yes, this assymmetry continues along the gandik side throughout the sogokan area, too. And that despite signs that also the wadidang side lost substance in front of the ri pandan... Quite odd since one wouldn't expect much wear towards the base of the blade to begin with. Thus, you might be correct that the blade could have been quite a bit wider.

Regards,
Kai
Old 19th December 2018, 03:40 PM   #7
kai

Wink

Here's another keris with (m)boto rubuh blumbangan in South Sumatran fittings...
(Shallow tikel alis + sraweyan extending along the usual sogokan area in this example.)
I got some more blades in S Sumatran fittings that exhibit a slightly concave gandik.
(The blade shown is of above average length but less than 40cm from memory.)

Regards,
Kai
(pics courtesy of Ron)
Attached Images

Last edited by kai; 19th December 2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added data
Old 19th December 2018, 04:03 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
IMVHO, the scabbard seems to be the best bet in placing the ensemble.
Perhaps the best bet for placing the ensemble, but does it place the origin of the blade itself. Just like with mine or most other keris we discuss this ensemble is probably not as old as the blade itself. So identifying the origin of the sheath as, say, Sumatran , does not necessarily mean that Gustav's blade did not originate in North Coast Jawa.
David is offline   Reply With Quote