Default INDIAN BUCKLER SHIELD

AN INDIAN BUCKLER SHIELD
LATE 18 TH CENTURY ,MOST LIKELY FROM PUNJAB
27 CMS ACROSS
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Miguel

Nice Buckler, Is it brass or steel my eyes are not to good at the moment and shall you clean it.
Regards Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
AN INDIAN BUCKLER SHIELD
LATE 18 TH CENTURY ,MOST LIKELY FROM PUNJAB
27 CMS ACROSS
Hi Bandook, another question if you don't mind, how do you tell the age of these shields? The reason for asking is that I have a small collection of them in different sizes, all brass and highly decorated as yours is which was my reason for acquiring them but I have always wondered about their age and what they were used for ie decoration, ceremonial occasions or defence in battle.
Regards
Miguel
Old 24th October 2015, 09:10 AM   #4
BANDOOK

Hi Miguel
I am not sure about the metal as its aged quiet a lot,also decoration has faded in time,i would assume late 18 century to mid 19 century as what I have seen images on the web
These were used for parrying at close combat and basically to protect ones fingers and hands as they are not very big like their large cousins the dhal shields.There are also reproductions which are made of brass but they are in good condition and retain their colours.
SOME OTHER MEMBERS COULD TELL US MORE
Regards Rajesh
Old 24th October 2015, 04:48 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Rajesh!!
Nice looking Buckler. And still has it's leather intact. Nice.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 09:12 AM   #6
BANDOOK

THANKS RICK GOT THIS REALLY CHEAP AS THE AUCION HOUSE HAD LISTED IT AS [REPLICA ROMAN SHIELD,VICTORAIN???],HAHA SO NOT MANY PEOPLE KNEW ,POOR SELLER DID NOT GETS ITS WORTH,CHEERS
Old 25th October 2015, 02:35 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
THANKS RICK GOT THIS REALLY CHEAP AS THE AUCION HOUSE HAD LISTED IT AS [REPLICA ROMAN SHIELD,VICTORAIN???],HAHA SO NOT MANY PEOPLE KNEW ,POOR SELLER DID NOT GETS ITS WORTH,CHEERS
LOL!!!! Ah great!! Congratulations. Usually the only people bidding on Ethno arms know what it is and about what it's worth. But once in a great while,
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Miguel

Quote:
Hi Miguel
I am not sure about the metal as its aged quiet a lot,also decoration has faded in time,i would assume late 18 century to mid 19 century as what I have seen images on the web
These were used for parrying at close combat and basically to protect ones fingers and hands as they are not very big like their large cousins the dhal shields.There are also reproductions which are made of brass but they are in good condition and retain their colours.
SOME OTHER MEMBERS COULD TELL US MORE
Regards Rajesh
Hi Rajesh, Thanks for your reply. It would be nice if it would clean as the decoration looks really good. I had a feeling that the brass ones were possibly reproductions and also the larger ones could be just for parade use as the decoration looks far to good and must have taken quite some time to do for it to be destroyed in battle but as you say some other members could tell us more.
Regards
Miguel
Old 28th October 2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Roland_M

Hello Rajesh,

if you are unsure about the metal, try a magnet. Or you can try metal polish on the inside.

A few days ago I won an Indian Dhal shield, decorated with a very nice hunting scene. The description claimed brass but it is steel with fire-gilding .

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 06:54 PM   #10
kahnjar1

Default How old are these?

I do not for one moment suggest that the age of these is anything other than stated by Members above, but I do note that it would appear that India is becoming the "new China" in terms of copying and aging of items.
One only needs to look at a well known site to see the large range of knives, flasks and other items being offered as old/antique.
I have discussed this issue with a recently arrived Indian immigrant, knowledgeable in these things, and his advice to me was "don't unless you have watertight provenance", when I asked about buying from there.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 10:57 AM   #11
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
Hello Rajesh,

if you are unsure about the metal, try a magnet. Or you can try metal polish on the inside.

A few days ago I won an Indian Dhal shield, decorated with a very nice hunting scene. The description claimed brass but it is steel with fire-gilding .

Roland
THANKS ROLAND NOTED,MANY THANKS
Old 3rd March 2016, 04:16 AM   #12
TCole

You refer to the fading color and obvious use as an indication of age? Is that a reliable way to date things? I'm curious and very, very new at this as well. My interest in these things is very recent.
TCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Jens Nordlunde

Rajesh, have you cleaned the shield by now, if yes - what does it look like?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 10:57 AM   #14
BANDOOK

hi jens
not yet cleaned it,am scared will take the patina,have got another shield will post pictures here soon,regards rajesh
Old 8th March 2016, 09:48 AM   #15
BANDOOK

Default Another Buckler Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Rajesh, have you cleaned the shield by now, if yes - what does it look like?
DEAR JENS
HERE IS ANOTHER BUCKLER I WON RECENTLY AT AUCTION FROM UNITED KINGDOM
14.5" ACROSS
Attached Images

Old 15th March 2016, 01:32 AM   #16
TCole

and how old is this shield?
Old 15th March 2016, 03:26 AM   #17
TCole

Default Indian Buckler shield

And how old and from where in India do you reckon this shield is? THanks..
Old 15th March 2016, 09:59 AM   #18
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCole
and how old is this shield?
GREETINGS TCOLE
I HAVE GOOD INFORMATION ON THESE SHIELDS FROM ,AN EXPERT ON THIS SUBJECT ,HERE IS WHAT HE SAYS,REGARDS RAJESH

Hi Rajesh,
I have attached 2 shields that you own, as both are distinctly related. Both are made of a brass alloy and the decoration was (in the late 19thC) known as lac-coloured ware, a style used to imitate an enamel effect. The style of decoration used on these shields is quite late in origin, and was applied to alloys - some brass and some with a more tinned composition. The decoration is coloured lac that is heated and placed into carved or chased designs. This style of decoration is not known on anything prior to the 19thC, and I would say the work originates from the latter part of the 19thC, during the period of the Durbars. Artisans from all over India had a resurgence of business as they had the chance to not only compete for title and prizes, but also to sell their wares in bulk.The metalwork category was sub-divided into more specific groupings, one of which was 'tinned, painted and lac-coloured wares' - basically processes that mimicked enameling. The main centres of this were Moradabad, Jaipur, Peshawar and Kashmir.

There are some descriptive indicators that help steer towards a more specific regions on a particular design, but in general it is very hard to distinguish which centre a piece was made. None were signed and each produced wares to compete against each other, resulting in similarities in style.

Most dealers simply (and wrongly) call the type of work on these shields as from Benares, but Benares was more known for enamel work which this tries to simulate. Benares was known for a strong use of red and many shields (like one of yours) uses a predominately red palette.

These shields were made during a time outside of a martial use, and they were vessels to apply the artisans skills onto. The same work can be found on trays, urns and hooker bases.

Your shields are nice pieces and I would strongly advise they are not cleaned. The alloy will simply shine with any chemical cleaner and all evidence of age will be lost. I would simply rub in renaissance wax with a soft cloth which will not remove the patina and will preserve the surface well (and give a little sheen to it)

I hope this has been of some help.

Best

Last edited by BANDOOK; 15th March 2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 16th March 2016, 12:53 PM   #19
Mercenary

I think all of such shields are the martial art items of 20th century with new decoration...
Attached Images

Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 11:34 AM   #20
BANDOOK

NICE SHIELDS MERCENARY ,YOUR SHIELDS SHOW NICE WEAR N TARE,THANKS FOR POSTING
MORE MEMBERS WILL COMMENT
REGARDS
Old 17th March 2016, 11:40 AM   #21
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hi Rajesh, Thanks for your reply. It would be nice if it would clean as the decoration looks really good. I had a feeling that the brass ones were possibly reproductions and also the larger ones could be just for parade use as the decoration looks far to good and must have taken quite some time to do for it to be destroyed in battle but as you say some other members could tell us more.
Regards
Miguel
HI MIGUEL
PLEASE CAN YOU PUT UP PICTURES OF YOUR BUCKLER SHIELDS,AM CURIOUS TO SEE THE DIFFERENT SIZES U HAVE,REGARDS RAJESH
Old 19th March 2016, 01:21 AM   #22
TCole

Default for Rajesh...

Rajesh.. THANK YOU! Much appreciated. I wonder if you know some books, perhaps books printed in India(?) that will have this information that you have carefully written for us.

I want to thank you for being so specific.

As per shields from Benares with red enamel… they are older than these we see here from both Mercenary and Bandook?

What were the primary designs of those shields with enamel coming from Benares?

I am curious. Obviously!