Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2014, 11:27 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile UNUSUAL CLUB

THIS CLUB WAS SOLD AS A MAORI CLUB FROM NEW ZEALAND. IT LOOKS LIKE A AFRICAN CLUB TO ME ? IT MAY BE POSSIBLE THAT THIS SORT OF CLUB WAS USED IN NEW ZEALAND BUT I HAVE SEEN NO REFRENCES FOR IT. IT LOOKS LIKE A TYPE OF HUNTING CLUB USED IN MANY COUNTRYS FOR THROWING AT BIRDS. MEASUREMENTS 23.75 X 11.5 INCHES (HEAD) ANY OPINIONS OR INFORMATION APPRECIATED. THANKS
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 08:07 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Its from Southern Sudan, probably Shilluk.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 06:24 PM   #3
LJ

The only one I've handled was from southern Sudan, but the origin was Ingessana rather than Shilluk. I remember looking at it and not realising it was wood (rather than iron) - then when I picked it up I was surprised at how light it was ! I don't know how widespread they were but they seem to be rare in collections.

If you go to the Pitt Rivers Museum website there is a very good "Virtual Collection" area relating to the Southern Sudan. It includes photos of a lot of their collection, as well as photos of Southern Sudanese people.
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 07:10 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THANK YOU I SUSPECTED IT WAS AFRICAN BUT MY KNOWLEGE OF AFRICAN CLUBS IS VERY LIMITED. A INTERESTING ITEM AND GIVEN ITS SIZE AND DESIGN IF ITS HEAVY WOOD, IT WOULD HAVE A GOOD LONG THROWING RANGE.
Old 9th May 2014, 10:06 PM   #5
LJ

I looked out Chris Spring's book on African Arms & Armour today. He has a photograph of half a dozen Ingessana throwing clubs from the British Museum's collection , and he supplies a local name 'luny'. I did wonder whether they were copies in wood of the better-known iron throwing knives, and Spring does discuss this: apparently the iron and wooden ones were used in different contexts, which suggests they were NOT copies.

Incidentally, you didn't say whether you bought this one (I hope you did!), or passed up the chance.
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 02:04 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

I BID WHAT I CONSIDERED A FAIR PRICE BUT IT WENT FOR THE HIGH PRICE OF A GOOD OLD MAORI CLUB SO I DID NOT EVEN COME CLOSE. AS I KNEW IT WAS UNLIKELY TO BE A MAORI CLUB AND WAS UNSURE OF ITS ORIGION I PASSED. I HOPE WHO EVER BOUGHT IT WASN'T DISSAPOINTED WHEN THEY FOUND IT WAS NOT MAORI. THE FORM AND SHAPE IS NICE SO I WOULD LIKE ONE BUT NOT AT THE PRICE THIS ONE WENT FOR.